- The Washington Times - Monday, January 14, 2002

The bodies of six U.S. Marines killed in an air crash in Pakistan were on their way home yesterday, and more than two dozen al Qaeda and Taliban prisoners were en route to detention in Cuba.
Military investigators continued to search the crash site in the rugged mountain area of southwest Pakistan for the last of the seven victims and for clues to what caused the crash of the military refueling plane Wednesday.
“The search will continue,” said Lt. Col. Martin Compton of the U.S. Central Command. “The Marines will leave no one behind.”
A plane carrying the remains of six of the seven Marines killed in the plane crash arrived yesterday at the U.S. Rhine-Main Air Base in Germany, adjacent to Frankfurt international airport. It left later for the second leg of the trip to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, where it was expected to arrive late yesterday or early today.
The military did not say yesterday which of the seven dead Marines it was still looking for.
In the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, 30 prisoners departed for Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, three days after the first group of prisoners was transferred to the high-security facility.
Shackled and with white caps covering their faces, they shuffled in the darkness late yesterday into a C-17 transport plane for the flight to eastern Cuba. Lights at the U.S. base at the Kandahar airport were shut off except for red low-intensity lights and green chemical lighting. Security was tight, with attack dogs and Humvees with .50-caliber machine guns patrolling the area.
The first group of 20 detainees left Thursday and arrived in Guantanamo Bay the next day.
The base at the Kandahar airport is the site of the main detention center for al Qaeda and Taliban prisoners in the U.S.-led war on terrorism. Officials said altogether 464 were in American custody 413 in Afghanistan, the 20 in Cuba, the 30 in transit and American Taliban John Walker Lindh on the USS Bataan in the Arabian Sea.
In Wednesday’s crash, the seven were killed when their Marine KC-130 fuel tanker slammed into a mountainside and exploded while approaching an air base at Shamsi in southwestern Pakistan.
Although U.S. forces in Pakistan have occasionally faced gunfire, Defense Department officials say they have no evidence hostile fire brought down the plane.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide