- The Washington Times - Thursday, January 31, 2002

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan An e-mail purportedly sent yesterday by kidnappers of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl threatened to kill him within 24 hours and warned American journalists to leave Pakistan within three days or "be targeted."
The unsigned e-mail claimed that Mr. Pearl, who disappeared in Karachi on Jan. 23, was an agent of the Israeli intelligence service, Mossad.
"Therefore, we will execute him within 24 hours unless Amreeka [America] fulfills our demands," the e-mail said.
It accused U.S. journalists of working for intelligence agencies and warned "all Amreekan journalists" to leave Pakistan within three days.
"Anyone remaining after that will be targeted," it said.
The e-mail was sent to both Western and Pakistani news organizations and contained phrases similar to those in e-mails sent over the weekend by the group claiming to hold Mr. Pearl. The group called itself the National Movement for the Restoration of Pakistani Sovereignty.
The e-mail yesterday had two photographs of Mr. Pearl attached. In them the journalist was wearing the same clothing as he was in pictures released Sunday.
A spokesman for the Wall Street Journal declined to comment on the newly released photographs.
Mr. Pearl's wife, Marianne, who is pregnant, said in an interview with CNN that she and her husband believed their role as journalists was to create dialogue.
She appealed to the kidnappers to open a dialogue with her about winning her husband's freedom.
"This is completely wrong, to hold us. It's just creating more misery and that's it. Nothing can come out of there," she said.
Asked if she had a message for her husband, she said: "I love you."
Mrs. Pearl said the two typically worked on stories together.
"I'm pregnant, I was sick. Otherwise I would have gone with him," she said.
She said she had not slept in six days but was not desperate and was keeping up hope.
The earlier e-mail included pictures of Mr. Pearl, Bombay-based South Asia correspondent of the Wall Street Journal, with a pistol pointed to his head.
The weekend e-mails included a list of demands, such as better treatment for terrorist suspects held by U.S. authorities at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. It demanded that Pakistani prisoners be returned to Pakistan for trial.
Mr. Pearl disappeared after leaving for an appointment at a Karachi restaurant with a contact who he hoped could arrange an interview with Sheik Mubarak Ali Shah Gilani, head of the small militant Islamic group Tanzimul Fuqra.
Yesterday, police apprehended Mr. Gilani in the northern city of Rawalpindi and transported him to Karachi, police official Mazoor Mughal said. Police said that they did not know where Mr. Pearl was being held but had carried out raids yesterday in several Pakistani cities in connection with the investigation.
In a statement yesterday, the Wall Street Journal denied Mr. Pearl was an agent of any government. "He is a reporter for us nothing more or less," the statement said. "He cannot affect the policy of the U.S. or Pakistani government. Nor can we."
The newspaper, which is owned by Dow Jones, also called for the release of the reporter, saying: "Nothing will be served by continuing to hold him. Killing or harming Danny would only discredit the cause of the people holding him."

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide