- The Washington Times - Sunday, July 21, 2002

2nd police officer placed on leave
INGLEWOOD, Calif. The partner of a white police officer who was videotaped punching a handcuffed black teen-ager has been removed from active duty after acknowledging that he, too, struck the youth.
Officer Bijan Darvish will remain on paid administrative leave while the incident that occurred July 6 is investigated; Officer Jeremy Morse was suspended earlier.
Mr. Darvish, who is also white, does not appear on the video, which was shot by a bystander from across the street. But in a police report, he acknowledged punching Donovan Jackson twice in the face after the 16-year-old purportedly grabbed his shirt.

Report: U.S. arrests al Qaeda suspect
U.S. officials have arrested a Jordanian-born man purported to have $12 million in fake cashier's checks and said they suspected he had trained in al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported yesterday.
"It has really alarmed a lot of people that al Qaeda may be trying to get that much money into the United States for operational purposes," one official told the paper.
"We don't know what he was up to, but he was coming from Indonesia; he had $12 million in bogus checks. He was born in Jordan, and his family is from Chechnya. There is a lot of smoke there to investigate," the official added.
Yesterday, Dawn Clenney, special agent for the FBI's Detroit office, confirmed the arrest but would not say whether the suspect might have trained in al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan.
"We are attempting to learn if there are any terrorist links regarding those cashier's checks," she told Reuters News Agency in a telephone interview.
The United States has linked Muslim rebels in Indonesia to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network of Islamic extremists, which Washington blames for the September 11 attacks.
Miss Clenney said Omar Shishani, 47, was detained Wednesday when he arrived at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport from Indonesia. She said Mr. Shishani's Dearborn, Mich., home was searched Thursday.

Police: Man shot accomplice to death
PHILADELPHIA A man fleeing the scene of a robbery accidentally shot his accomplice in the head, killing him, police said.
Two men stole the company payroll of a downtown sheet-metal company Friday, making off with $4,000, police said. One of the men was shot and killed by his accomplice when the accomplice turned and fired shots at workers who were chasing them.
A bandanna mask still partially obscuring his face, the accomplice collapsed and died in an alley alongside the Uni-Pro Inc. sheet-metal company.
The dead man remained unidentified, and the other man remained at large. The money was not recovered, police said.
"It's a robbery that got sloppy," police Capt. Lou Campione said.
The robbers held up a woman who had just returned to work after cashing employees' paychecks for them, police said.
"They accosted her and took the money she had in her handbag, which was the payroll," said Lt. Joseph Maum.

Accused priest sues archdiocese
MIAMI A Roman Catholic priest who was accused of molesting two women has sued the Archdiocese of Miami for ruining his reputation by publicizing the accusations.
The Rev. Jan Malicki was sued by the two women in 1998. They said he molested them at St. David Catholic Church in Davie. The archdiocese suspended Father Malicki, but Broward prosecutors never filed charges because they felt they couldn't win a conviction.
In his lawsuit filed Friday, Father Malicki said Archbishop John Favalora and Chancellor Tomas Marin authorized a church tribunal to review "secret accusations" against him in July 1998, then held a news conference later that month to announce that Father Malicki was under criminal investigation.
The suit also charges that Chancellor Marin sent Father Malicki a letter in February 2001 saying he had been cleared by the tribunal and the Broward state attorney's office, but the archdiocese never reinstated him.
Ellis Rubin, Father Malicki's attorney, said he has evidence that the archdiocese treated Father Malicki differently from other priests accused of sexual abuse. The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.
An archdiocese spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment yesterday.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide