- The Washington Times - Monday, July 22, 2002

Metropolitan police yesterday confiscated the black BMW belonging to a 34-year-old man who disappeared soon after his half-brother was critically injured by a pipe bomb blast in their father's car.
Police spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile said Metro Transit Authority police found the 1990 car owned by Prescott Sigmund of Falls River Drive in Potomac at the Vienna Metro Station.
Mr. Sigmund, who has not been seen since police first talked with him shortly after the July 12 explosion, was reported missing by his wife, Bradey, on July 15.
Wright Sigmund, 21, was badly injured in the explosion, which was triggered when he turned the ignition key of the family's Chevy Blazer, decorated with Redskin logos, in an office building garage in the 5200 block of Wisconsin Avenue NW.
The Blazer belonged to Donald Sigmund, 65, president of Wolf & Cohen Financial Services. Wright Sigmund, a student at Georgetown University, was working for his father this summer.
Wright Sigmund, a son from Mr. Sigmund's second marriage, remained in critical condition yesterday, according to information officials at Washington Hospital Center.
Sgt. Gentile said the BMW was towed to the police mobile crime unit in the 3500 block of V Street NE. He said agents of the FBI and U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would examine the vehicle.
Federal agents were called in because first suspicions were of a terrorist attack and because a homemade pipe bomb had been used. Bits of pipe, wire and other debris were removed from where the Blazer was parked, near a sign, "Rest In Peace," inscribed in the concrete floor.
Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey quickly discounted suspicions of a terrorist attack.
Donald Sigmund, who often attended Redskin games wearing an Indian headdress, usually drove a Mercedes Benz. Wright Sigmund reportedly was to use the Blazer to run an errand for his father.
The 2 p.m. explosion caused police to block Wisconsin Avenue for two hours. Restaurants, shops and business offices for a one-block radius were evacuated. It also stalled 140 buses in a nearby Metro garage before they could go out on rush-hour runs.
Montgomery County police questioned Prescott Sigmund, whose mother was Mr. Sigmund's first wife, after the explosion, and he agreed to take a lie-detector test. But he did not return for the test before he was reported missing.
Police searched his home and removed a computer and several bags of other items. They said the hard drive would be examined for information about bomb-making.
Police said Prescott Sigmund was last seen about 8 a.m. July 15, as he reportedly drove his BMW to a seminar. His wife reported him missing that night, when he failed to meet her for a dinner engagement.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide