- The Washington Times - Sunday, July 28, 2002

BAGRAM, Afghanistan Five American soldiers were injured and two Afghan militiamen were killed yesterday in a 4-hour gunbattle in eastern Afghanistan during a search for Taliban and al Qaeda fighters believed to be holed up in the lawless region.
At least three of those who opened fire on the U.S. and Afghan troops from a mud-brick compound in the Khost area also were killed, said Col. Roger King, military spokesman at Baghram, the main U.S. base in Afghanistan. One attacker was wounded and is now in U.S. custody.
It was the fifth time U.S. forces have been attacked since hostility against them rose sharply after a U.S. air strike July 1 that Afghan officials say killed 25 persons at a village wedding party.
The wounded soldiers were flown to Bagram. Four of them, wounded early in the attack, had injuries that were not life-threatening. The condition of the fifth, wounded late in the gunfight, was not immediately known.
The Khost region, about 90 miles southeast of Kabul, the capital, is regarded as one of the most insecure areas of Afghanistan, and forces of the U.S.-led coalition have repeatedly conducted operations there aimed at flushing out holdouts of the Taliban and al Qaeda.
It is exceptionally difficult terrain, where soldiers clamber among arid, steep mountains that provide an array of hiding places for fugitives and perches for snipers. Mud houses cling to slopes above the passable byways.
Col. King said about 50 U.S. soldiers and allied Afghan militia were trying to confirm intelligence about an enemy operative in the area when they came under small-arms fire about 1 p.m.
Special forces and conventional troops were flown to the fight after the ambush, putting a total of about 100 troops on the ground, Col. King said.
The injured soldiers' names were not released pending notification of relatives.
Col. King said a team was continuing reconnaissance in the area.
"It suggests that we're facing a committed enemy," Col. King said. He said the coalition forces are doing a lot of their operations in the area because of its proximity to the border, its history and "connection to the people we are looking for."
"Those things work together to make the border region a focal point," Col. King said.
Afghan anger against the United States has risen since the July 1 air strike that Afghans say killed 48 persons 25 of them celebrating a wedding and wounded 117 in Uruzgan, in the center of the country.
U.S. officials say they believe civilians were killed, but have not said how many. Officials say the attack was provoked by persistent anti-aircraft fire from sites in the village. The military is investigating the incident.
Since then, U.S. troops have come under fire five times.
On July 13, a U.S. convoy was attacked while traveling along a road between Bagram and Kabul. No one was injured.
Two days earlier, a U.S. special forces compound near Kandahar was hit by grenades and small arms. Again, there were no injuries.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide