- The Washington Times - Sunday, July 28, 2002

Suspect charged in slaying of girl, 6

VALLEY PARK, Mo. A transient was accused yesterday of abducting, trying to rape and killing a 6-year-old girl who was snatched from her father's home.
Warrants charge Johnny A. Johnson with first-degree murder, armed criminal action and attempted forcible rape in Friday's killing of Cassandra "Casey" Williamson, who vanished from the home where Mr. Johnson, 24, also had spent the night. Cassandra's body was found a few blocks away.
St. Louis County Police Chief Ron Battelle told NBC's "Today" show yesterday that Mr. Johnson had confessed to the slaying. The suspect was jailed without bond yesterday.

2 priests arrested in police sex sting
NEWARK, N.J. Two New Jersey priests, including the former head of a Roman Catholic high school for boys, were arrested in Montreal on charges of soliciting sex from minors, a spokesman for the Archdiocese of Newark said.
The Rev. William Giblin, 70, and the Rev. Eugene Heyndricks, 60, were caught Wednesday in a police sting against a prostitution ring that employed boys as young as 14, the Star-Ledger of Newark reported in yesterday's editions.
The priests were released on bail pending an October court appearance and have voluntarily left the ministry, archdiocese spokesman James Goodness said. Information on the pair's whereabouts was not available.

Two illegal aliens found dead in trailer
ANNA, Texas Two bodies were found in a tractor-trailer yesterday that had apparently hauled dozens of illegal immigrants for several hours in 90-degree heat, police said. Several people were hospitalized for heat-related injuries.
The rig was found parked at a truck stop in this small town about 40 miles north of Dallas. Authorities believed the same rig stopped at a Dallas truck stop earlier in the day, where witnesses said about 40 people poured out, some fleeing into neighborhoods seeking help.
"Once our troopers got there, we found two apparent illegal aliens confirmed dead and one injured," said Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Tom Vinger. "Whether the driver knew they were there is still under investigation."
The driver and another man in the cab were taken into custody, Mr. Vinger said.

Military sends jets after 'blue flame'
Fifty years to the weekend after a rash of UFO sightings over Washington, the Air Force scrambled two F-16 fighters over the city late Friday, only to find that the object they had detected had disappeared into thin air.
"We scrambled two F-16s on a track of interest to comb the area and clarify the situation. This was accomplished successfully," military spokesman Mike Snyder told Agence France-Presse.
"This blue flame, we don't really know what folks were referring to, honestly," Mr. Snyder said with a laugh when asked whether pilots may have been chasing an unidentified flying object.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide