- The Washington Times - Sunday, July 7, 2002

MULTAN, Pakistan A second suspect in the gang rape of an 18-year-old woman as part of a tribal punishment was arrested yesterday after surrendering to a local newspaper, police said.
Faiz Bakhsh Mastoi was the second man arrested in the past two days in connection with the rape June 22. Police are searching for two other suspects.
Mr. Bakhsh Mastoi went to the office of a local newspaper in Multan, a regional center in Punjab province, and identified himself as one of those wanted in the case.
"I'm surrendering at the newspaper office because I'm afraid that police may kill me in a fake encounter," Mr. Bakhsh Mastoi told reporters.
Police have been under pressure to capture the rape suspects since Pakistan's Supreme Court accused local officers of negligence for not arresting them immediately after the crime.
Police said the woman was raped by four men after a tribal council in Meerwala village ordered that her family be punished after her 11-year-old brother was seen walking unchaperoned with a girl from a different tribe.
Police say the tribal verdict was illegal. But Pakistan has a tradition of tribal justice in which crimes or affronts to dignity are punished outside the framework of Pakistani law.
The rape has outraged rights groups, which have demanded an end to punishments by tribal councils.
The government has given the family $8,000 as compensation and says a school will be built in Meerwala and named for the victim.
The rape suspects were well-known in the village, and several of their relatives have been detained by police to pressure them to surrender.
Police said the suspects fled the village after the rape was reported to avoid arrest. The first man arrested was discovered Friday at a friend's farm in southwestern Baluchistan province.
The victim's mother, Allah Bachai, said yesterday that the family had been threatened by relatives of the rapists for reporting the crime.
Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered police and local officials to give it updates on the investigation. After criticizing police at a hearing Friday, the chief justice ordered investigators to return to court July 11 to give a progress report, court officials said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide