- The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 11, 2002

D.C. police yesterday recovered "a couple bones" during a search of the area of Rock Creek Park where Chandra Levy's remains were discovered on May 22.
"We're turning them over to the Medical Examiner's Office to make a determination on whether or not they're human or animal," police spokesman Joe Gentile said.
Police returned to the scene last week after private investigators hired by the Levy family found a 12-inch bone identified as Miss Levy's left tibia on June 6, some 25 yards from where a man walking his dog discovered her skull.
The police mobile crime unit and 37 recruits worked from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. yesterday to conduct a "grid search" around the site where Miss Levy's remains were discovered. They divided the area into 3-by-5-foot blocks and used rakes to sift through each. In a separate "line search," cadets stood shoulder to shoulder to go through the ground.
Sgt. Gentile said investigators will return to the scene today, but can't say how long it will take to complete the search.
"They're taking it a day at a time," he said.
Levy family attorney Billy Martin yesterday reiterated statements he made last week expressing the family's disappointment that the bones were not found in the original search of the area, but said he had not lost faith in the ability of D.C. police to solve the case.
"We were disappointed that the authorities did not find Chandra much sooner, before evidence was lost," Mr. Martin said. "But we understand sometimes you cannot find bodies that have been secreted."
Mr. Martin said the family "remains confident that police are doing their best and we hope that they will solve this mystery."
D.C. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey said last week that 85 percent of Miss Levy's remains had been recovered, but that parts of her pelvis, left leg and foot were still missing when police ended their original search.
He said last week's discovery was no reason to reopen the medical examiner's investigation. D.C. Chief Medical Examiner Jonathan L. Arden determined that Miss Levy's death was a homicide, based on the circumstances surrounding the discovery of her remains, but could not determine a cause of death.
Chief Ramsey said in a statement on Friday it appeared the bone was "reintroduced to the area by wildlife." Police also said the bone was found within 3 feet of what appeared to be an animal's den.
Sgt. Gentile said he wasn't aware if any additional evidence had been found at the scene.
Police were hoping to find Miss Levy's keys, a ring and a gold serpentine bracelet she was believed to be wearing at the time of her disappearance.
Ridge Road NW, which runs through Rock Creek Park, was closed to traffic yesterday. The mobile command bus was on the scene and police vehicles controlled access to the area.
Investigators emphasized burrows and holes where small animals might have concealed bones and other evidence. Police were aided by a zoologist familiar with the park's wildlife.
Police officers had closed part of Broad Branch Road NW and spent more than a week searching an area 20 to 25 yards wide and 50 yards long in the 1,700-acre park after a man walking a dog, in search of turtles, found the skull on the morning of May 22.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide