- The Washington Times - Sunday, March 10, 2002

Pathologist: Yates' children died slowly
HOUSTON Andrea Yates' five children died slowly, each struggling and gasping for air as she drowned them one by one in the family bathtub, a pediatric pathologist testified yesterday.
It would have taken each child three minutes to lose consciousness and another three minutes to die, the pathologist said. In each case, he said, Mrs. Yates would have had time to resuscitate the child afterward but didn't.
"Each of these children did not want to die, and they fought their deaths," Dr. Harry Wilson, a pathologist at Texas Tech University School of Medicine, said during the third week of testimony in Mrs. Yates' capital murder trial.

McCartney's tour gets quick response
LONDON Tickets for former Beatle Paul McCartney's first American tour in a decade sparked a stampede among fans yesterday, selling out by telephone and Internet within 30 minutes of going on sale.
A spokesman for the British performer said fans snapped up all 75,000 tickets for the first five shows on the "Driving USA" tour of the United States and Canada.
The 15,000 tickets for Mr. McCartney's show in Toronto, the first to go on sale, sold out in a half hour. The Washington event sold out in 28 minutes. It will be held at the MCI Center on April 23. The other three sold-out shows will be in Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia.
Mr. McCartney's first tour since the 1993 "New World Tour" begins in Oakland, Calif., on April 1 and will visit 19 cities, ending in Florida on May 18.

Helicopter crash leaves two dead
BRUNSWICK, Ga. A Marine Corps helicopter went down in the Atlantic Ocean yesterday while trying to rescue passengers from another helicopter crash. Two persons died, and one Marine crew member was missing.
The civilian helicopter, carrying two workers on a Marine Corps project, crashed Friday after 8 p.m. The Coast Guard rescued one man Friday night, but he died later at a hospital.
The Marine helicopter, based in Beaufort, S.C., was searching for the second occupant when it went down about 9:30 a.m. A Coast Guard cutter rescued four of the five crew members.
One injured crewman was taken to a hospital, where he was in stable condition.
The body of the other civilian was found yesterday morning.
The Coast Guard was searching for the missing Marine yesterday afternoon.

5 killed, 17 injured in fiery pileup
SANTA ROSA, N.M. State crews yesterday picked apart a mound of wrecked and charred vehicles left by a pileup on a smoke-obscured major highway that killed five people and injured 17.
Wind-fanned smoke and flames from a railroad construction site fire had swept across Interstate 40 on Friday, triggering a 14-vehicle pileup that included a school bus.

Oklahoma bomb victims seek compensation
OKLAHOMA CITY A group of Oklahoma City bombing survivors and relatives of those killed launched a petition yesterday asking Congress to give them the same multibillion-dollar financial aid as those harmed in the September 11 attacks on New York and the Pentagon.
A group representing about 10 percent of the roughly 1,500 survivors and heirs of the April 1995 anti-government truck bombing that killed 168 persons and gutted a federal office building asked visitors to the bombing memorial to sign the petition.
"There are so many victims from this that have major medical bills and will from now on," said Kathy Youngblood, co-director of the group Victims of Terrorism Information and Vital Exchange Services, which says it has about 160 members.
Mrs. Youngblood, whose husband, John, died in the Alfred P. Murrah federal building, said Oklahoma City victims were being forgotten in the face of the massive September 11 attacks

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide