- The Washington Times - Sunday, March 3, 2002

A homesick freshman looked at ease in the waning seconds of a tight game last night at DuFour Center.
Bobby Henning hit four free throws and stole the ball in the last 12 seconds as Catholic University held off Hampden-Sydney 74-68 in the second round of the NCAA Division III tournament.
Henning, a 5-foot-7 point guard from Bricktown, N.J., who was the Capital Athletic Conference co-Rookie of the Year this season, has made a smooth transition to the college game. He's fast, quick and pesky. He dribbles through defensive pressure. He finds the open teammate.
Henning was the essential offseason addition for a program that won the national championship last season. Coach Mike Lonergan couldn't be happier with his point guard, except for his oft-repeated yearning to be home, back among old friends and familiar surroundings.
"I hope he's happy," Lonergan said. "He's a heck of a player, I know that."
Henning finished with 11 points, nine assists and two steals in 35 minutes. He committed only two turnovers.
"I'm feeling great right now," Henning said. "I'm OK with Catholic, but Bricktown is a beautiful place."
With the victory, the Cardinals (26-2) advanced to the Sweet Sixteen for the fifth consecutive season. They will meet Clark (Mass.) University on Friday, the site to be determined today.
The Cardinals saw the Tigers close to 70-68 with 27 seconds left after Jeff Monroe converted a 3-point play. Much anxiety ensued for all the principals.
The ball was inbounded to Will Morley, but the Cardinals called a timeout after he could not find an open teammate. That sequence took four seconds off the clock. More seconds were lost after the Tigers (23-6) knocked the ball out of bounds.
Finally, the Cardinals were able to get the ball to Henning, who dribbled it across the midcourt line before being nearly tackled by an opponent with 12 seconds left.
Henning hit both free throws, and following a turnover by each team, he stole the ball and then settled the issue from the free throw line.
The Cardinals could not free themselves from the visitors in the first half.
Matt Hilleary hit two free throws and Craig Avallone converted a 10-footer near the end of the first half to put the Cardinals in front 34-30. A free throw by Hampden-Sydney's Jason Holman cut the margin to 34-31 just before the halftime break.
Both teams appeared to have a case of the nerves in the early going. Catholic guard Kevin Wise, a 94 percent free throw shooter going into the game, missed two free throws at the 12:03 mark, only his fourth and fifth misses of the season.
"It was early in the game, it was a big game, a big crowd, and I was making my first start in an NCAA [tournament] game," Wise said.
Wise, though, eventually found his comfort. He finished with 16 points, the same as Hilleary. Wise hit four 3-pointers. The last one put the Cardinals up 68-62 with 2:39 left.
Henning beat the Tigers' pressure with regularity after experiencing some early jitters.
"I knew the first five minutes would be shaky for us," Lonergan said. "They played Thursday, while we waited all week, and that was a huge advantage for them."
Hilleary, the CAC player of the year, asserted himself from the start, getting three early putbacks. He scored 12 points in the first half and bothered the larger Tigers on defense.
Wise and Avallone led a surge early in the second half. A 3-pointer by Avallone gave the Cardinals a 47-35 lead with 16:11 left. It was their largest lead of the game.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide