- The Washington Times - Friday, March 8, 2002

FORT WORTH, Texas A 25-year-old nurse's aide has been charged with murder after her admission that she hit a homeless man on a Texas highway, impaled him in her windshield and watched him slowly die two days later in her garage, as he moaned and begged for help.
The man, a 37-year-old mentally deficient drifter described as "a gentle, gentle soul" by one homeless-shelter worker, has been identified as Gregory Glen Biggs. His body was discovered in a park in Fort Worth several days after the accident in October.
Police conjectured that he had been a hit-and-run victim, but the Tarrant County medical examiner said the man had no internal injuries.
"We thought the body had been dumped there because there wasn't enough blood, and they were telling us he obviously bled to death," said one Fort Worth cop.
A series of tips from those who were suspicious that Chante Mallard had abandoned her car to others to whom she had told conflicting stories about "an accident" led police to her in February.
Fort Worth police, accustomed to seeing brutality, were appalled as Miss Mallard calmly told them what she had done.
She said she had been drinking heavily and using Ecstasy that October night, and while driving to her south Fort Worth home, she hit the man. The impact, she said, drove him headfirst inside the windshield, his mangled legs protruding onto the hood.
She told the police she panicked and drove to her home and quickly parked the car inside her garage, with the victim moaning and pleading for help. Miss Mallard said she went inside and went to bed. She heard his moaning, but still offered him no help. She went to the garage several times in the next two days to talk to him, she said, but added that she ignored his pleas for help.
Two, possibly three, days later, the man died of loss of blood and shock.
Then Miss Mallard said that she gathered several acquaintances and got them to pull the body out of the windshield and stow it in the trunk of another car. Several persons then took the victim and tossed him in Cobb Park, where two men discovered it the next day.
Richard Alpert, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney, said he couldn't describe his feelings. "I'm going to have to come up with a new word," he said. "Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Maybe we've just redefined inhumanity here."
Mike Heiskell, a Fort Worth lawyer representing Miss Mallard, said he thinks the prosecutors are overstepping "reality" in charging his client with murder. "I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid."
Mr. Alpert strongly disagreed.
"This goes so far beyond failure to stop and render aid because she did more than render aid. She made it impossible for anyone else to do so," he said.
"If he had gotten medical attention," said Fort Worth Police Sgt. John Fahrenthold, "he probably would have survived."
Dee Hunter, who worked at an outreach center where Mr. Biggs often sought shelter, said, "He was a nice man, such a gentle, gentle soul. How could anybody do such a thing?" she asked. "And then just … oh, I can't even talk about it. He was such a nice man. He didn't deserve to die the way he did."
Mr. Biggs' mother, Meredith Biggs, who had not seen her son for several years, told police she had recently begun looking for him. "How could she just leave him like that to die? Drugs and alcohol wear off, so why didn't she get him some help? I should have prayed more," she said.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide