- The Washington Times - Monday, May 13, 2002

More than half of the 30,413 in attendance left between games. Those were the smart ones.
The gluttons for punishment stayed and watched D.C. United and the Columbus Crew play 100 minutes and settle for a 1-1 tie at RFK Stadium in the nightcap of a doubleheader with the U.S. men's national team.
United could have won the game in injury time when referee Ali Saheli awarded it a penalty kick in the 96th minute. But Crew goalkeeper Tom Presthus saved forward Jaime Moreno's try and with it thwarted United's best chance at victory.
"Tom did well," Moreno said. "One of us has to win, and this time it was Tom. When you look at my penalty kicks, I usually don't hit it hard, and that's the way I do it. I still believe in myself. This is going to make me stronger."
Moreno can't be faulted for the draw, which wasn't bad on its own but was a natural letdown after the United States' 2-1 victory over Uruguay. That Moreno played the entire game is a testament to his character. This was the first game of the season in which he played the full 90 minutes after undergoing offseason knee surgery and this one lasted another 10 minutes.
After the game, Presthus, who played four seasons (1997-2001) with United, said he never could stop Moreno's penalty kicks during practice. Maybe it was the shootout, Major League Soccer's old tiebreaking procedure, that groomed Presthus.
"The one thing that I noticed is that he opened up and he comes up to the ball pretty straight on," Presthus said. "He opened up his hips early, and when you open up your hips early there is only one place you can really go either down the middle or to the goalkeeper's left. I reacted from that point. It's unfortunate for Jaime, but I'll take it any day."
Added Crew coach Greg Andrulis: "Kudos to Tommy Presthus for having 34-inch arms."
Saheli had correctly whistled Crew defender Duncan Oughton for wiping out United forward Ali Curtis in the penalty area after receiving a long ball from Marco Etcheverry.
There was a rare sight in the 47th minute a United goal. It was the first time in 227 minutes a span of 2 games that United scored. Teen-age forward Santino Quaranta broke the drought with his second goal of the season and gave United a 1-0 lead.
Bobby Convey, United's left-flank midfielder, played a 35-yard ball to Moreno coming out of the midfield. Moreno, who made just his second start of the season, found Quaranta streaking through the 18-yard box. Quaranta maintained his composure and tapped the ball past Presthus from 12 yards out.
"That was a great ball. I was going to take a touch, but I really wanted to finish and thought one goal was going to do it today," Quaranta said.
Even though United (2-5-1) held the lead, it never seemed safe and it wasn't. Dante Washington, who grew up in Columbia, Md., tied the game in the 67th minute with his third goal of the season.
Poor defensive play allowed the Crew (2-4-1) to tie the game. With United right-flank midfielder Lazo Alavanja nowhere to be found on the play, the Crew's speedy left-flank midfielder, Jeff Cunningham, dribbled 30 yards untouched down the left wing.
When he reached the touch line, Cunningham rolled a short cross through the 6-yard box, where he found Washington at the far post. All Washington had to do was tap the ball in to tie the game 1-1.
United didn't play well enough to deserve the victory, but the club almost stole three points. It was a difficult way for the struggling club to settle for a tie.
"It wasn't in the cards for us tonight. It wasn't in the stars for us to go away with the three points," United coach Ray Hudson said. "We've got them. They're dead, they're dead. They are dead. We're in a bad karma."

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide