- The Washington Times - Monday, May 27, 2002

WEBBERS FALLS, Okla. A barge hit a bridge over the Arkansas River during a storm yesterday, collapsing a 500-foot section of Interstate 40 and sending as many as 15 vehicles plunging into the water with people trapped inside.
Crews pulled a vehicle from the river about 6:15 p.m. and found one person dead inside, said Lt. Chris West, a spokesman for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.
Officials expected to find five to 12 bodies in the submerged vehicles but said it would likely be today or tomorrow before the other victims could be removed. Officials estimated the river is about 11 feet deep at the site of the bridge collapse.
Cranes were brought in to stabilize the two bridge sections that slanted from I-40 into the river as divers struggled against a strong current in the murky water yesterday, said Rebecca Smith, a spokeswoman for Muskogee County Emergency Management Services.
At least five persons were being treated at hospitals, including some who had been rescued from the river as boatmen alerted authorities to the collapse shortly before 8 a.m.
Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, who visited the area yesterday afternoon, said the captain of the barge may have had a seizure and blacked out just before the barge rammed a column supporting the 1,988-foot-long bridge. The captain was being examined at an area hospital.
"One of the fire officials asked two tug mates, and they said it was a seizure or a blackout and the captain hit the bridge," Mr. Keating said. "There was a number of fishermen down there who saw it happen. They said it veered right into the piling, and here came the road."
It wasn't clear whether the storm and fast-moving river water contributed to the crash.
"The loss of life is something that is unbearable for all of us because these are people traveling on Memorial Day from all over the country," the governor said. "It is a sad day for all of us."
Josef Blann, a diver with the Marine Corps Reserve, said authorities believed 15 vehicles went into the river, including 12 cars, two tractor-trailer rigs and a horse trailer. Mr. Keating said the total number could be as low at nine.
Capt. John Harris of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said there was still hope for air pockets in the submerged vehicles and he hoped divers would be able to reach the cars yesterday evening.
At nearby Webbers Falls, officials were setting up a morgue inside City Hall, and a funeral home had become a meeting place for families searching for relatives who might have been on the bridge.
Yesterday afternoon, rescue crews in boats moved along the river's surface, picking up floating pieces of car seats, clothing and diapers.
Huge slabs of concrete where the west side of the bridge gave way slumped in the water close to the river's edge.
A pickup truck rested on top of one section of collapsed concrete at the west end of the bridge, which rested on the embankment. The driver had slammed on his brakes when he noticed the bridge was gone, authorities said.
Both eastbound and westbound sections of the I-40 bridge, about 75 feet above the Arkansas River, collapsed, pinning the barge beneath it.
Shane Guthrie, personnel manager for Magnolia Marine Transport Co. in Vicksburg, Miss., said the company's 104-foot-long towboat, the Robert Y. Love, was pushing two barges when the accident occurred. None of the seven crew members was injured, officials said.
"They just got hold of the bridge span there somehow," Mr. Guthrie said. "We're still investigating what caused the accident."
Lake patrol units interviewed the captain and the National Transportation Safety Board was sending a team to investigate.
A second, nearby bridge also was hit yesterday morning but was still being used, although one of its pillars was damaged, Webbers Falls Mayor Jewell Horne said. It wasn't clear if the same barge hit both bridges.
Both bridges are about 100 miles east of Oklahoma City and about 35 miles west of the Arkansas line.
Four persons injured in the collapse were being treated yesterday at Muskogee Regional Hospital, all in stable condition, administrator Ched Wetz said. A fifth person was taken to Sequoyah Memorial Hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.
"One gentleman said he was driving and all of a sudden there was nothing under him," Mr. Wetz said. "He doesn't remember how he got out of his vehicle. He probably swam out, but he simply doesn't remember."
I-40 normally has heavy traffic through the area, said Highway Patrol Sgt. Jarrett Johnson.
"There are probably thousands of cars that travel over this bridge every day," he said. "It's the main interstate that travels east and west through the state of Oklahoma."
Mr. Keating said it likely would take six months to rebuild the bridge.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide