- The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 28, 2002

WEBBERS FALLS, Okla. Four bodies were recovered yesterday from the underwater tangle and concrete where a barge collapsed a section of a bridge, sending cars hurdling into the Arkansas River. The recovery brought the number of confirmed dead to seven.
A thunderstorm forced divers to stop searching after they found one body Monday, but crews used sonar to locate vehicles in the water with three bodies inside. They used large cranes with claws to bring them up.
The bodies of four women and three men were recovered, and the search was to resume Tuesday. At least five people escaped with injuries when a 500-foot section of the nearly 2,000-foot bridge was sheared off.
The accident occurred when Joe Dedmon, the 61-year-old pilot of a towboat pushing two barges side-by-side, apparently blacked out at the helm, said Joel Henderson, a spokesman for Magnolia Marine Transport Co., which owns the boat.
Mr. Dedmon appears to have passed out for about two minutes and was unable to steer the barges through the river channel under the bridge, Mr. Henderson said. Nobody was on hand to take the helm from him.
Preliminary tests on the captain showed he had not been using alcohol or drugs. Mr. Dedmon regained consciousness after the collision but remained hospitalized yesterday pending further tests.
"He's just terribly distraught and shook up about the incident," Mr. Henderson said.
Divers weren't able to see anything in the deepest parts of the churning river, and resorted to feeling their way around twisted steel in search of vehicles. Terry Stephens, coordinator of the Highway Patrol's dive team, said mangled cars were piled on top of each other.
Survivor Goldie Alley was driving across the bridge with her husband Max when their car went into the water. She said she had traveled over the bridge hundreds of times with her church singing group.
"When my husband got to the edge he said, `I don't remember a hill being here,' and about that time we was in the air," she told KWTV in Oklahoma City.
Max Alley suffered a broken back and Goldie Alley had broken ribs.
Kay Blanford of Southerland Springs, Texas, feared two of her friends went off the bridge while hauling a trailer loaded with four race horses. Rescuers hadn't found her friends but pulled three dead horses out of the river. Ms. Blanford was following in another car but got caught in a traffic jam.
"I've been trying to call them on the cell phone and they still haven't answered," she said.
The barge was moving upstream and about 300 feet outside the regular navigation channel when the accident happened, a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers spokesman said.
Huge rock-filled bumpers protect bridge supports near the navigation channel from boats or debris moving downstream, but the columns are not protected from vessels moving upstream, said Dennis Johnson, the corps' area manager.
He said it is unusual for a barge to hit a bridge while moving upstream outside the channel.
"This is just one of those things," Mr. Johnson said. "I don't know how you could have prevented it."
The empty, 490-foot barge, longer than a football field, was going about 5 mph when it hit the span. Alongside it was the second barge of the same size. The width of the two barges together was 108 feet.
The channel is about 300 feet wide under the bridge, Mr. Johnson said. The barge missed the channel by about 300 feet and slammed into the columns supporting the bridge at its west end. The columns were destroyed.
Investigators will try to determine if there was anything wrong with the bridge, built in 1967, to explain why the accident caused the roadway to collapse, said George Black, a spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board. The bridge passed an inspection a year ago.
At the accident site, a crane hoisted a victim's car from the water shortly after divers resumed the search at daybreak yesterday.
The names of the four dead have not been released. Among those who escaped the collapse with injuries was James Bilyeau, a truck driver from Conway, Ark., who was pulled from water by two fishermen competing in a bass tournament nearby.
"He was in really bad shape. I don't know how he hung on like he did," said one of the fisherman, Randy Graham. "I said, 'You're all right. We got you."'
Mr. Bilyeau, who remained in a hospital yesterday with head injuries, telephoned the other fisherman, Norman Barton, on Sunday night, and "he kept saying over and over, 'You saved my life,"' Mr. Barton said.
Relatives at Webbers Falls City Hall waited for news of their loved ones.
Wayne and Susan Martin never showed up at a family reunion in Clarksville, Ark., and their daughters haven't been able to reach them on their cell phone.
Their relatives said they feared the couple, traveling in a pickup truck, fell to their deaths.
"He was my baby brother," Gwen Smith said. "We have not had contact with them."

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide