- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 1, 2002

National Park Service sanitation crews said cleanup efforts were light after the weekend anti-capitalism protests on the National Mall and at other sites downtown.
The Park Service doesn't yet have a measure of trash collected or the extra cleanup expenses. Crews responsible for the Mall and other park areas where protests of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund were held were finished by 8:30 p.m. Sunday, said William I. Newman Jr., associate superintendent of maintenance.
"It wasn't anywhere near the Fourth of July," Mr. Newman said. "The litter: It was more like a Saturday afternoon."
By yesterday morning, Sylvan Theater on the Mall, Pershing Park and Dupont Circle showed little effects of the protests.
D.C. police arrested more than 600 protesters at Pershing Park and other sites in downtown Washington on Friday.
Mr. Newman said his typical weekend sanitation crew of eight was all that the Park Service needed to clean up the Mall and Dupont Circle. Four of the workers stayed until about 8:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, he said, but no additional members were needed.
The roughly half-million revelers at the 2001 Fourth of July celebration on the Mall produced an estimated 27 to 30 tons of trash.
But at Farragut Square, a National Park Service Crew worked into the afternoon yesterday to clean up graffiti on the base of the Adm. David Glasgow Farragut statue. A Park Service official said he had few details on the graffiti. Chalk-drawn statements, including "Bush = Hitler," lined the concrete path in the square.
Elsewhere, the D.C. Office of Public Works, which collects trash in the downtown commercial areas, had additional crew members on duty and on call from Friday morning until Sunday night.
Public Works employees estimated they had more trash cans to empty this weekend than around the Fourth of July because the World Bank/IMF headquarters, which is in the area monitored by the Public Works office, was the focus of protesters. They marched from Sylvan Theater to the headquarters on Saturday.
Even so, the extra workers resulted in fewer problems. The office didn't have to use any of the heavy machinery that was set aside for protest-related cleanup.
"We really anticipated and planned well for this," said Mary Myers, public information officer for the office. "It was one of the smoothest events we've had."
Workers for the public works office ended their protest-related duties at 3 p.m. yesterday.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide