- The Washington Times - Thursday, October 17, 2002

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) Anna Kelly said yesterday that she initially dismissed the three gunshots her daughter thought she had heard as unlikely in her neighborhood.

It was not until about 10 minutes later on the evening of Dec. 11, 2000, that she opened her front door because of the unceasing honking from a neighbor's driveway. That is when Ann Walenta started flashing her car lights and yelling at Mrs. Kelly for help.

According to Mrs. Kelly, the woman yelled: "Anna, help me." Mrs. Kelly then ran to Mrs. Walenta, who told her she had been shot. Mrs. Walenta, 55, a cellist for the Wichita symphony died Jan. 2 of her injuries.

Mrs. Kelly told the story of that night while testifying yesterday in the trial of brothers Reginald and Jonathan Carr on 113 charges, including five counts of capital murder, related to a several-day crime spree.

The Walenta shooting came just days before four other persons were fatally shot in Wichita.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

During testimony by Scott Porter, the doctor who treated Mrs. Walenta at the hospital, one of the jurors suffered an apparent seizure. District Attorney Nolla Foulston yelled for the doctor when she realized the juror was having difficulties. Dr. Porter examined him until emergency medical staff arrived to take him to the hospital. Trial proceedings were suspended but resumed in the afternoon.

Mrs. Kelly, at times struggling to keep her composure, recreated for jurors the evening of the shooting.

"I asked her who shot you [she said] it was a black guy with wire hair. I stayed there with her. I opened the front door to get closer to her and this glass fell out and her left leg fell out. I realized she didn't have control of it, so I put it back in and shut the door."

Mrs. Kelly said she yelled to her husband to call police while she stayed with Mrs. Walenta, holding her head the whole time and trying to keep her talking.

"She kept repeating to me, 'I'm not going to make it.' I kept arguing with her, 'The police are coming, you will be fine,'" Mrs. Kelly said.

Dr. Porter testified his hospital examination showed Mrs. Walenta had been shot five times, mostly in the left side of her chest. She already was unable to move her legs because one of the bullets had severed her spinal cord, he said.

Earlier yesterday, prosecutors finished showing jurors surveillance photos from automated teller machines where victims of the quadruple killing were forced to withdraw money before they were shot.

Most of the charges the brothers face stem from the events of Dec. 14-15, 2000, when five friends were abducted from a Wichita home, forced to engage in sexual acts and to withdraw money from ATMs before they all were shot. Aaron Sander, 29; Brad Heyka, 27; Jason Befort, 26; and Heather Muller, 25, died. Mr. Befort's girlfriend, then a 25-year-old teacher, survived a head wound, running naked about a mile to find help.

The Carrs are black. All their victims were white. The case has provoked criticism from some who accuse prosecutors of ignoring racial hatred as a potential motive in the crime spree.

The brothers also are being tried in the Dec. 7, 2000, robbery in which Andrew Schreiber was abducted and forced to withdraw cash from ATMs.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide