- The Washington Times - Thursday, October 24, 2002

JAKARTA, Indonesia Indonesian investigators yesterday prepared sketches of three suspects in the Oct. 12 blasts on Bali that killed nearly 200 and confirmed that all three were Indonesian nationals.
Indonesian officials also increased security after news the United States planned to list Jemaah Islamiyah as a terrorist group suspected of being involved in the blasts. The officials fear the designation could lead to additional attacks.
"What's sure is they were Indonesian nationals," police chief Gen. Dai Bachtiar told reporters. "But it was still not sure whether the three are Balinese or Jakarta citizens."
Gen. Bachtiar said investigators are searching where the RDX and C-4 explosive materials believed to be used in the attacks on the two night clubs in Kuta, Bali's famous tourist area, came from. He suspects the devices were smuggled into Bali by sea.
Security was tightened through economic and business centers, hotels and shopping malls across Indonesia. Extra security precautions were also imposed through vital installations, mining operations as well as oil and gas fields.
"According to intelligence information, there will be another attack at another location in the country," said Indonesia's top security minister, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.
The FBI has warned Garuda Indonesia Airlines of a potential attack against the airline, Tempo Newspaper reported, adding that Garuda had passed on the warning to all branch offices and airports throughout the country.
Indonesian police formally arrested noted Muslim militant leader Abu Bakar Bashir last weekend, but they are waiting for him to recover in a hospital from respiratory problems before beginning questioning.
Mr. Bashir has not been declared a suspect in the Bali blasts. He was arrested on suspicion of involvement in several church bombings on Christmas Eve 2000 in which 19 persons died, and in a plot to assassinate President Megawati Sukarnoputri.
Mr. Bashir has denied any wrongdoing. He also denied links to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network.
In a separate terrorist bombing case in the neighboring Philippines, President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said five Muslim militants arrested for a series of bombings had been "virtually caught in the act" of preparing another bomb.
The five are accused in at least three bombings in the southern city of Zamboanga this month that killed seven and injured more than 150.
Elsewhere, a Moroccan student on trial in Germany for aiding the al Qaeda cell of September 11 hijackers admitted in court yesterday that he sent $2,500 from the account of one hijacker to a Yemeni, who is believed to be a senior contact in bin Laden's terrorist network.
Defendant Mounir el Motassade said he made the transfer to Ramzi Binalshibh, a bin Laden associate who was arrested last month in Pakistan and turned over to the United States.
Yesterday, Pakistani police said they arrested a man suspected of being an al Qaeda militant in a raid, with FBI help, on a house in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
The man gave his name as Abdul Wahid and said he was a resident of the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, but officials said they suspected he was an Arab member of al Qaeda.
"He seems to be an important link [with al Qaeda]," a police officer told Reuters news agency on the condition of anonymity.
Also yesterday, Pakistani doctors protested the detention of a prominent orthopedic surgeon in the eastern city of Lahore this week.
Relatives said Dr. Amir Aziz was taken away by Pakistani intelligence and FBI agents Monday and accused of supplying anthrax to al Qaeda and Taliban militants.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide