- The Washington Times - Friday, October 4, 2002

NEW YORK A man jumped the fence surrounding U.N. headquarters yesterday, fired seven shots into the air, threw leaflets on the ground and was quickly tackled by U.S. Secret Service agents. There were no injuries but shots hit at least two upper floors of the U.N. building.
The gunman was identified as Steve Kim. U.N. security said his nationality had not been confirmed but that according to his identification, he was born in 1945.
Shots from the pistol hit the 18th and 20th floors of the U.N. building, including the women's restroom on the 18th floor and an American Express office on the 20th floor, according to U.N. security chief Michael McCann.
Mr. McCann said several shots narrowly missed U.N. employees inside the Secretariat building.
The suspect was apprehended by Secret Service agents who were part of a team protecting visiting Cyprus' President Glafcos Clerides.
"The first people to reach this individual were U.S. Secret Service personnel," Mr. McCann said.
They were assisted moments later by members of a State Department protective detail also on site, as well as U.N. security, he said.
The shooting occurred at 1:10 p.m. while the Security Council was holding discussions on Iraq and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan was meeting with Mr. Clerides and the leader of Turkish-occupied Cyprus.
Leaflets thrown by the suspect and found by reporters near the scene were handwritten in English with many misspellings and were addressed to "all people who love freedom and justice."
"In a shinning and civilized 21st century, most people in the world enjoying peace and freedom. North Korea however is groaning under the weight of starvation and dictatorial suppression. They don't have even the most basic of human rights since all things body and spirit plants and plows belong to one named greatest general Kim Jong Il," it said.
It was signed: "A citizen of U.N., Steve Kim, Oct. 2, 2002."
Mr. Kim was questioned by U.S. law-enforcement authorities before being transferred to FBI custody and taken out of U.N. headquarters 90 minutes after the shooting.
Security Council members appeared unaware of the incident when they emerged from their meeting. U.N. security officials assured U.N. employees that no one was injured.
Police sealed off First Avenue in front of the United Nations building, and cleared the street of onlookers. The United Nations also sealed off the Secretariat building, and would not allow anyone but Diplomatic Security officers to come and go.
The United Nations was conducting floor-to-floor searches for more bullets after the shooting. The FBI was among those questioning the suspect, along with Diplomatic Security officers and the New York City Police Department.
U.N. spokeswoman Hua Jiang, who witnessed the incident from the window of her office, said she did not know whether the man was an employee of the United Nations.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide