- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 1, 2002

A man accused of killing two Prince George's County sheriff's deputies was arrested early yesterday by undercover police investigators after they cornered him in a Langley Park shed and subdued him with an electric shock from a Taser gun following an intensive 30-hour manhunt.
Police had searched for James Ramiah Logan, 23, since late Thursday in the shooting deaths of Cpl. James V. Arnaud and Deputy Sheriff Elizabeth L. Magruder, who were trying to serve him with an emergency psychiatric warrant at his parents' home less than two miles from where he was captured yesterday.
Mr. Logan is being held without bond on two counts of first-degree murder at the county jail in Upper Marlboro. He is expected to appear Tuesday at the county courthouse for a bond hearing.
Hours into the second day of the manhunt, police in Prince George's and Montgomery counties watching one of Mr. Logan's hangouts spotted him at about 1:30 a.m. in the 8200 block of 14th Avenue in Langley Park, police said.
Officers approached him, but he ran away and eluded investigators for about 15 minutes before police received a 911 call from a woman who complained about noises near a trash bin at an apartment complex a block away, police said.
Investigators secured the area, and police dogs picked up a scent that led to a small brick storage shed beside a bin.
Police said Mr. Logan ignored orders to surrender and kicked one of the police dogs before he was subdued with the Taser at about 2 a.m.
"When we apprehended him, he did not have any weapons on him," said Cpl. Tammy Sparkman, a spokeswoman for Prince George's County police.
On Friday, the silver-colored Dodge Charger that police said Mr. Logan used to flee from the crime scene turned up on Edgefield Drive in Beltsville. Throughout the day, investigators focused their manhunt in that area.
The car was found only a few miles from the home where the shooting occurred. The suspect's parents, James and Karen Logan, live with their two college-age children in the 9300 block of Lynmont Drive in Adelphi. It was not clear where the suspect was living.
Law-enforcement officers from more than 12 agencies equipped with dogs, heavy weapons and helicopters had been scouring the area for Mr. Logan, who was taken in on arrest warrants for the fatal shootings of Cpl. Arnaud, 53, and Deputy Sheriff Magruder, 30.
About 9:30 p.m. Thursday, the sheriff's deputies went to Mr. Logan's parents' home, where he had been staying, to serve an emergency psychiatric warrant sought by Mr. Logan's wife and issued by a Hyattsville district judge.
Mr. Logan's parents let Cpl. Arnaud and Deputy Magruder enter, and the deputies contacted Mr. Logan, who refused to comply, police sources said. He ran into a bedroom, then later burst out with a gun.
Cpl. Arnaud was shot in the throat and the chest, and was pronounced dead at the scene. Deputy Sheriff Magruder was shot in the back of the head, and was pronounced dead later at Prince George's Hospital Center.
Both had been shot less than 10 feet away from the suspect, police sources said.
"We're a small agency. Everybody knows everybody to some degree," said a sheriff's official.
Thursday's double slaying was the first killing in the line of duty in the 306-year history of the county Sheriff's Department, which has about 230 civilian and sworn employees.
According to Cpl. Sparkman, police released a dog on Mr. Logan when he did not comply with orders to surrender. The dog bit Mr. Logan on his ankle and arms, but he still refused to surrender. Officers shot him once with a Taser and took him into custody.
The suspect was treated for dog bites before being taken to jail, Cpl. Sparkman said.
Mr. Logan has a criminal history that would make possession of a weapon illegal, police sources said.
His wife had been concerned about him because he had been behaving erratically, two police sources familiar with the investigation told the Associated Press. He has a history of mental and emotional problems and violent behavior, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Mr. Logan was laid off this summer from a job building and trouble-shooting with computers, police sources said.
"He's no dummy," an investigator said, adding that Mr. Logan told investigators during interrogation that "my god told me to shoot them."

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide