- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 21, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) Investigators found what they believe are blood stains on the sailboat belonging to missing former NBA player Bison Dele, and police in Tahiti suspect that he and two others were murdered by his older brother.
Authorities searching Dele's 55-foot catamaran at a Tahitian port found traces of what appeared to be blood inside and outside the boat, said Michel Marotte, Tahiti's chief prosecutor.
Marotte said the findings must be verified in a laboratory. "But it does seem to be blood traces," he told the Associated Press yesterday.
Meanwhile, Dele's brother, Miles Dabord, was in a coma and in critical condition at a hospital in Chula Vista, Calif. The FBI was waiting to question him after learning his identity Thursday. Dabord was found unconscious in Mexico last week and taken to the hospital. He was arrested Thursday and charged with trying to steal his brother's identity.
Investigators believe Dele, who changed his name from Brian Williams in 1998, his girlfriend Serena Karlan and Bertrand Saldo, a French skipper sailing with the group, were killed July 6 or 7, after a layover in Tahiti, said Michel Marotte, chief prosecutor of Tahiti.
"We presume that the bodies of these people must be in the sea, the ocean, and will probably never be found," Marotte said. "But we're still looking."
Marotte said the bodies might have been weighted down to sink them. And "there's the fishes, the sharks and whatnot that may have destroyed them. We are not in a very active search for bodies that will likely never be found."
Marotte said investigators don't think more than one person was responsible for the killings.
"So we are still working on the hypothesis of murders apparently committed by the person who particularly attracts our attention that is the brother of the victim, Kevin Williams," he said, referring to a name used by Dabord.
FBI agents have been going over the boat since Tuesday, and plan to partially dismantle the hull to look further. They also found what they think are traces of holes that might have been plugged in, Marotte said. Investigators are trying to determine whether the holes "might reveal the use of a weapon, of a bullet."
Dele and his party pulled into an island near Tahiti for a stop on their South Pacific trip from New Zealand to Hawaii. Dabord was traveling with the group before the disappearances.
On the morning of July 8, Dabord returned to Papeete, where he met his girlfriend at Tahiti's airport, Marotte said. The Los Angeles Times has reported that Dabord's girlfriend, Erica Weise, told authorities in California that Dabord told her there was a struggle on the boat that led to the deaths of Dele, Karlan and Saldo.
Weise arrived in Tahiti on July 8 and left on July 15, Marotte said. Between those dates, Dabord took the boat up the east coast of Tahiti. Dabord contacted someone about repairing the boat, and he was told to go to Taravao. The boat arrived in port on July 16, and Dabord left.
On Sept. 5, Dabord was briefly taken into custody in Phoenix after attempting to buy $150,000 in gold using his brother's identification. A week later, the sailboat was found in Tahiti, with a new name. That same day, Mexican authorities found the hotel room in Tijuana where Dabord had been staying. Two days later, Dabord was found unconscious.
FBI agent Josephina Regula said Dabord had no apparent external injuries when he was found on a beach next to the U.S. border fence. Regula said she had no information on the cause of the coma.
Dele played eight seasons in the NBA before suddenly retiring in 1999.
AP writer John Leicester, based in Paris, contributed to this report.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide