- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 4, 2002

NORTH BEACH, Md. A Prince George's County sheriff's deputy killed in the line of duty last week was praised for making the ultimate sacrifice and promoted posthumously at his funeral in this small town on the Chesapeake Bay yesterday.
"He answered the call and gave us his all," Cpl. Tommy Lay, a fellow deputy, said of Cpl. James V. Arnaud, who was promoted to sergeant by Sheriff Alonzo D. Black.
About 800 mourners attended the 90-minute funeral service inside St. Anthony's Catholic Church, and nearly 500 more deputies, police officers, firefighters and rescue workers from across Maryland waited outside the church in this community of roughly 1,800.
Meanwhile yesterday, the man accused of killing Sgt. Arnaud and Deputy Elizabeth L. Magruder was denied bail, and a second man was charged in their deaths.
Sgt. Arnaud, 54, and Deputy Magruder, 30, were fatally shot Thursday night as they tried to serve a psychiatric warrant on James Ramiah Logan, 24, at his parents' home in Adelphi.
Sgt. Arnaud was shot six times and died at the scene. Deputy Magruder was shot in the back of the head and was pronounced dead at Prince George's Hospital Center.
A Prince George's County district judge yesterday ordered Mr. Logan held without bond at an initial hearing at the Prince George's County Courthouse in Upper Marlboro.
Judge Frank M. Kratovil told Mr. Logan who appeared via closed-circuit television that the maximum penalty he faces is death. Judge Kratovil set a preliminary hearing for late this month, but State's Attorney Jack B. Johnson later told reporters that he expects the hearing to be delayed.
Anthony Antwan Kromah, 19, of the 1400 block of Merrimac Drive in Langley Park, also was ordered held without bond after police charged him with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of accessory after the fact.
Mr. Kromah surrendered Friday morning and was released after police determined he was not criminally liable. New information led to his being charged, police said.
"We developed information that he aided Logan after the homicides," said Capt. Andy Ellis, a county police spokesman.
Capt. Ellis said Mr. Kromah was present at the time of the shootings and fled the scene with Mr. Logan. Mr. Kromah will have an initial hearing today.
At yesterday's hearing for Mr. Logan, a homicide chief in the prosecutor's office told the court that Mr. Logan left the scene of the crime, went to a friend's house, abandoned the gun that police later recovered and was found early Saturday morning leaving the home of a friend's girlfriend.
"The defendant knew what he was doing," William Manico testified.
Scott Little, Mr. Logan's attorney, said "significant issues of mental health precipitated" the deputies' slayings. He said two Prince George's Hospital Center physicians diagnosed Mr. Logan as a paranoid schizophrenic on Aug. 26, three days before the Sgt. Arnaud and Deputy Magruder were shot.
Mr. Logan later left the hospital on his own because he did not want to be there, according to his parents, Karen and James Logan.
Outside the courthouse, the Logans told reporters about the delusional behavior their son exhibited for more than a week before the slayings.
The Logans said they did not keep any weapons at their Adelphi home, and said they did not know how or where their son acquired the gun that police later recovered.
Mrs. Logan expressed sorrow to the families of Sgt. Arnaud and Deputy Magruder, saying, "I can't imagine what they're going through right now."
Yesterday, about 115 officers on motorcycles led the hearse, funeral procession and black limousines carrying Sgt. Arnaud's family, including his wife of 33 years, Theresa; his father, Harry; his son, Michael; his daughter, Jamey; his brother, Thomas; his sister, Lillian Schmidt; and his adopted grandchildren, Jacob and Joseph.
They watched as eight pallbearers all deputies carried the casket inside the church.
Sgt. Arnaud's son read a poem about his father's love and dedication.
His daughter appealed to her father to "laugh as we always did at the little jokes."
"We love you, Dad. We miss you."
Prince George's County Executive Wayne Curry and Maryland Gov. Parris N. Glendening also spoke of Sgt. Arnaud's dedication.
"Jesus Himself says that there is no greater love that we can have than for one another," the Rev. David P. Russell said. "Your husband, your father, your brother, your son, your fellow sheriff's deputy lived this."
Cpl. Steve Reed, who had known Sgt. Arnaud for 11 years, praised the fallen deputy.
"Jim had a deep dedication and work ethic," Cpl. Reed said, adding that Sgt. Arnaud's "hobby" was his family. Sgt. Arnaud often spoke of his wife, praising her ability to run a garden tractor, serve as a chauffeur, chef and nurse, he said.
Visitation for Deputy Magruder is scheduled for today at Lee Funeral Home in Clinton, Md. The funeral will be held at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Church of Great Commission, 5055 Allentown Road, Suitland.
H.J. Brier reported from Upper Marlboro.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide