- The Washington Times - Thursday, September 5, 2002

Sri Lanka lifts ban on Tamil Tiger rebels
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka The Sri Lankan government lifted a 4-year-old ban on the Tamil Tiger rebels yesterday, paving the way for peace talks to end the island nation's 19-year civil war.
Defense Minister Tilak Marapone told the Cabinet that he used his powers to end the ban, conceding to a key rebel demand ahead of peace talks scheduled for Sept. 16 in Thailand.
The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, which is on the U.S. State Department's list of terror organizations, has been fighting for a homeland for the country's 3.2 million minority Tamils.

Abu Nidal group clashes with troops; 3 killed
BAALBEK, Lebanon Supporters of the late terrorist leader Abu Nidal fought with Lebanese troops yesterday, leaving three men dead and provoking a military clampdown on a Palestinian refugee camp.
The clash broke out when troops entered the Jalil refugee camp outside Baalbek in search of a wanted man, a security officer said. Two Palestinians and an army corporal were killed in the fighting.
The soldiers pulled down the wall of an arms depot belonging to the Fatah Revolutionary Council, the group founded by Abu Nidal, the terrorist leader whose mysterious death in Iraq was announced two weeks ago, the security officer said. Inside they found two truckloads of weapons, he said.

Girl said to be raped in Malaysian camp
MANILA Malaysian police deporting illegal immigrants sexually abused a 13-year-old Philippine girl during detention, Philippine officials said yesterday. The girl made the charge after her return to the Philippines.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo expressed her "personal outrage" in a letter to Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, her second protest about purported mistreatment of Filipinos in the Malaysian crackdown.
The crackdown has sparked a wave of about 300,000 migrants leaving Malaysia in recent months.

Korean man attacks children
SEOUL A deranged man attacked kindergarten children ages 4 to 7 with knives at a church cafeteria, wounding 10 of them in a half-hour rampage that ended after police moved in with tear gas.
"In my dreams, I heard a voice saying that my wish will be fulfilled and I will live only if I kill many people," the man identified only by his last name, Hwang later told police.
The 53-year-old attacker also said Kim Il-sung, the late founder and Stalinist president of North Korea, instructed him to kill people, national news agency Yonhap reported.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide