- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 20, 2003

Prosecutors confident of Peterson conviction
SAN FRANCISCO California's top prosecutor said yesterday that there was a "very compelling" case against Scott Peterson in the death of his pregnant wife and that he was confident the 30-year-old fertilizer salesman would be convicted of murder.
"There is a very, very compelling case against him. I think it is going to result in a conviction," state Attorney General Bill Lockyer said on local television.
Mr. Peterson was arrested in San Diego on Friday, a few days after the decomposed remains of his wife, Laci, and the fetus of their son washed ashore near San Francisco.
Authorities said the cause of death of Mrs. Peterson, a 27-year-old substitute teacher who had been missing since Christmas Eve, has not been determined. There was also no known motive for the killings.
Under California law, a double murder conviction constitutes murder with special circumstances, which could make Mr. Peterson eligible for the death penalty if he is convicted.

Union decision renews bankruptcy fears
DALLAS The decision by a union at American Airlines to toss out the results of an election on labor concessions has renewed fears that the troubled airline will have to file for bankruptcy.
The flight attendants union announced Friday night that it would vote again on its share of $1.8 billion in annual concessions. The union had approved the cuts earlier in the week.
The union called for a new election after American belatedly disclosed bonuses for seven top executives and partial funding of extra pension benefits for 45 executives. The perks were approved last year but not disclosed until the end of regular voting by employees on the concessions, which include deep wage and benefit cuts.
American rescinded the bonuses Friday. The airline had said it would file for bankruptcy immediately if any of its three main unions did not approve the concessions.

Judge orders deportation of Nazi-guard suspect
PHILADELPHIA An immigration judge ordered Friday the deportation of an elderly Pennsylvania man accused of being a Nazi concentration camp guard during World War II.
Prosecutors said Theodor Szehinskyj, 79, of West Chester served in a Waffen-SS Death's Head unit during the war and helped guard prisoners at the Gross-Rosen, Sachsenhausen and Warsaw concentration camps from 1943 to 1945.
Mr. Szehinskyj, a retired machinist, has denied that he was a guard. He told investigators he was a farmhand for the war's duration. He has lived in the United States since 1950, but a federal judge in Philadelphia revoked his citizenship in 2000 after finding that he had participated in the "Third Reich's closed culture of murder."
Mr. Szehinskyj's attorney, Andre Michniak, did not immediately return a phone call Friday.
If the deportation order is not appealed, it is not clear how soon Mr. Szehinskyj would be forced to leave or where he might go.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide