- The Washington Times - Saturday, April 26, 2003

From combined dispatches
A 26-year-old Hong Kong woman and 10 family members were released from isolation after Maryland health officials said it was likely they did not have severe acute respiratory syndrome, Baltimore's health commissioner said yesterday.
The decision leaves two suspected cases of the potentially fatal disease in the state: a Baltimore doctor who was in Toronto last week and an Anne Arundel County woman who went to China to adopt a girl.
The Anne Arundel County woman, who returned April 9 from a trip to China's Guangdong province, had two SARS symptoms: a fever of more than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit and a dry cough. She and her 47-year-old husband and 1-year-old daughter were isolated at their Millersville home after undergoing tests.
The Hong Kong woman was hospitalized Tuesday after developing a dry cough. Her relatives were isolated in a Baltimore apartment as a precaution.
"I believe the woman and her relatives have already left the state for New York, and four of them intend to fly back to Hong Kong today," said Dr. Peter Beilenson, Baltimore's health commissioner.
The woman's brother, a doctor at Maryland General Hospital, has also been cleared, he said.
Twenty-two people, most of whom have recently traveled outside the United States, have been investigated for the SARS virus in Maryland.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide