- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Two years after former Washington intern Chandra Levy disappeared, authorities say they have no reason to believe the case will be solved anytime soon.
   “We’re continuing to work it,” Metropolitan Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey said yesterday. “There’s still a lot of attention being paid to it.”
   Chief Ramsey said a detective remains assigned to the case, though not exclusively. He also said tips have pretty much “dried up,” but he hopes that the second anniversary of Miss Levy’s disappearance will generate a renewed interest and jog someone’s memory.
   “It’s going to take someone calling us up with information they thought was insignificant at the time,” Chief Ramsey said. “We continue to be optimistic that we’ll get the tip we need.”
   Miss Levy disappeared from her third-floor apartment on 21st Street NW on April 30, 2001, after canceling her membership at the Washington Sport and Health Club. Internet records indicate she used her computer May 1, visiting travel Web sites and looking up the address to the Klingle Mansion in Rock Creek Park.
   Her remains and some articles of clothing were found May 22, 2002, by a man walking his dog in the Rock Creek Park woods, not far from the mansion.
   D.C. Medical Examiner Dr. Jonathan Arden concluded Miss Levy was murdered, but he could not conclusively state the cause of death. He later said that damage to a bone in Miss Levy’s neck may indicate she was strangled.
   Chief Ramsey said he attended a meeting a few weeks ago with representatives of the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office regarding the Levy case.
   He declined to comment further on progress in the case because it is the subject of an ongoing grand jury investigation.
   Channing Phillips, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Roscoe C. Howard, said only that the “active investigation” continues. He declined to comment further on the investigation or when the grand jury will finish its work.
   But law enforcement sources say the grand jury investigation has yielded few clues.
   In October, investigators refocused on an El Salvadoran immigrant serving a 10-year federal sentence in a Kentucky prison for attacking two female joggers in separate assaults near Broad Branch Road, where Miss Levy’s remains were found.
   D.C. police questioned Ingmar Guandique, 21, about Miss Levy shortly after her disappearance and administered a polygraph test after a fellow inmate said Guandique had confessed to the killing.
   Guandique passed the test, though the other inmate failed a similar polygraph test.
   The D.C. grand jury investigating the case called some of Guandique’s relatives, friends and a former landlord in October, but no charges were filed.
   Chief Ramsey said police have not interviewed Guandique since Miss Levy’s remains were found, but he said they have exchanged information through his attorney. Law enforcement sources said that interest in Guandique as a suspect is waning.
   The case drew worldwide attention after reports surfaced that Miss Levy was having an affair with then-Rep. Gary A. Condit, California Democrat.
   Mr. Condit originally described Miss Levy as a friend and denied even to his colleagues that he was having a relationship with her. The congressman later acknowledged to police that he had had an affair with Miss Levy, but denied any involvement in her disappearance.
   Mr. Condit, 56, was defeated in the 2002 Democratic primary for the California congressional seat he had held since 1989. Published reports describe him as unemployed, battling to save his marriage and trying to live anonymously in Arizona.
   Atlanta lawyer L. Lin Wood, who filed a libel lawsuit on Mr. Condit’s behalf against author Dominic Dunne last year, said people who have been “falsely accused of a heinous crime” are tainted.
   “I think clearly a lot of the options that were available to now-former Congressman Condit are obviously not going to be there for him for some time,” Mr. Wood said. “Hopefully, in the future things will change, but I think right now it is a tough time for him.”
   He also expects to file a libel lawsuit on Mr. Condit’s behalf in late May or early June against American Media, the parent company of the National Enquirer.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide