- The Washington Times - Monday, December 29, 2003

ASSOCIATED PRESS

More than 4,000 people contending September 11-related injuries have applied for federal compensation, surprising fund administrators with a deluge of last-minute applications.

“I think that that is a very large number of personal-injury claims, and we will carefully review each of them to make sure that they satisfy eligibility requirements,” said Kenneth Feinberg, the fund’s special master.

As of yesterday afternoon, 4,033 claims for injury compensation had been received, roughly 400 of them arriving since a midnight Dec. 22 deadline for mailing them, fund administrators said. The figure easily tops the about 3,000 claims officials had expected.

“The fund is really at the cutting edge of trying to determine eligibility and scope of injury” from the attacks, Mr. Feinberg said.

Mr. Feinberg’s office will continue collecting claims received in the mail or by courier service postmarked before Dec. 23.

The fund has received more than 50 additional claims from the families of those killed, bringing the total number of death claims to 2,887.

The new figure represents 97 percent of the families of those killed on September 11, officials said. The official death count from the attacks is 2,976.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide