- The Washington Times - Monday, December 8, 2003

An FBI-led task force yesterday meticulously tracked the last moments of slain federal prosecutor Jonathan Luna, including the late-night journey from his office in Baltimore to the creek bed in Pennsylvania where he was found dead.

Law enforcement authorities said Mr. Luna’s car, a silver-colored 2003 Honda Accord, left the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Baltimore about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday and traveled toward Philadelphia, passing through at least three EZ toll booths.

Task-force investigators documented a cash withdrawal from Mr. Luna’s account and the purchase of gas at a Mobil station on Interstate 95 in Newark, Del., with a credit card in his name.

Meanwhile, the FBI laboratory continued yesterday to examine forensic evidence gathered in the case, according to FBI spokesman Barry Maddox.

“We’re continuing to work this case very aggressively with our state, local and federal counterparts,” Mr. Maddox said. “And we’ll continue to do so for the foreseeable future.”

Mr. Luna, 38, drowned after being “brutalized with multiple stab wounds” and left face down in a creek near Brecknock Township, Pa. His body, with 36 stab wounds, was located Thursday morning by Pennsylvania State Police.

The FBI task force also continued yesterday to interview people connected to a number of cases in which Mr. Luna served as the prosecutor, including several that targeted violent Baltimore-area criminals as well as their friends and associates.

Authorities, however, believe the interviews so far have shown the killing was not related to his work assignments and probably involved events in his personal life. If work-related, those accused would face federal charges in Maryland or Pennsylvania. If it was a personal matter, the case would be handled by authorities in Lancaster County, Pa., where his body was found.

One area of interest is Mr. Luna’s frequent and nonwork-related travels to Lancaster County. Authorities were also investigating his use of a credit card he held without his wife’s knowledge and online postings of messages by someone who went by the name of Jonathan Luna on a Web site where people seek female sex partners.

Mr. Luna had failed to show up in a Baltimore courtroom Thursday to finalize a plea agreement in a case involving Baltimore rapper Deon Lionnel Smith, 32, and an associate, Walter Oriley Poindexter, 28, accused of running a violent drug ring from their Stash House Records studio.

U.S. District Judge William D. Quarles Jr., who presided over the case, said a plea agreement in the case was reached Wednesday. Smith and Poindexter later pleaded guilty and await sentencing.

Authorities said Mr. Luna, when found by police, was dressed in a business suit and wearing an overcoat. They said he still had his wallet, identification and cash. A Pennsylvania State Police affidavit said his car was smeared with blood on the driver’s side door and front fender and there was “a large pool of blood” on the floorboard in front of the passenger seat.

Mr. Luna, the father of two sons, ages 5 years and 10 months, and the husband of Dr. Angela Luna, apparently fought with his assailant, according to Lancaster County Coroner Dr. Barry Walp.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide