- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 19, 2003

UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 19 (UPI) — The U.S. Mission to the United Nations said Wednesday Washington has decided to seek a second resolution authorizing military action against Iraq. Though an official did not know particulars, the United States previously has said a second measure was not necessary before launching an attack on Baghdad.

Word on the anticipated action came as the U.N. Security Council for a second day in a row held an open Iraq debate, for non-members of 15-member panel. The speakers overwhelmingly were for the continuation of inspections before deciding to take military action against Iraq.

"A decision was made," the official told United Press International. "Washington will be seeking a second resolution."

While the official, who did not want to be further identified, said the United States would be "seeking additional support among our allies," he did not know anything about the language in the proposed resolution.

"It certainly is not going to be a long one."

Asked when to expect it to be tabled, he said, "Introduction is still to be decided," adding it could be "within hours, a day or days," leaving it open for an introduction as late as next week.

Ambassador Mohammed Aldouri of Iraq, on his way into the session, said he was happy with the support received in the chamber Tuesday.

"I am pleased not only with the members here, what has been done in the Security Council, but all over the world we are pleased, of course."

He was referring to anti-war demonstrations around the world over the weekend.

"Nobody wants war," he said. "If you talk with Arab countries this is the situation. No country, unless Kuwait, I think, is an exception. All other members are very keen to have peace instead of war."

Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990 led to the Persian Gulf War and sanctions imposed by the Security Council. Baghdad was found in non-compliance with U.N. resolutions mandating its disarmament, which followed a cease-fire agreement. Under that deal, Iraq agreed to rid itself of weapons of mass destruction.

Baghdad's refusal to cooperate with the previous inspection regime, known as UNSCOM, led to the withdrawal of inspectors in December 1998. That was followed by a four-day bombing campaign by Britain and the United States.

There were no inspections from then until U.N. inspectors returned Nov. 27, under a tough, new Nov. 8 council resolution. Resolution 1441 authorizes the new regime, the U.N. Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission led by Hans Blix, its executive chairman, as the chief U.N. weapons inspector.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide