- The Washington Times - Saturday, February 22, 2003

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) Jesica Santillan, the 17-year-old girl who underwent a second heart-lung transplant after the first was botched, was found to have severe and perhaps irreversible brain damage yesterday.
The girl's chief benefactor said doctors told Jesica's family to prepare for a possible decision to remove her from life support.
Mack Mahoney blamed the grim turn on Duke University Medical Center, saying image-conscious doctors hesitated to take the blame for the first, bungled operation and lost precious time in the hunt for a new set of organs.
"If she dies, they murdered her," said Mr. Mahoney, a North Carolina building contractor who started a charity in Jesica's name.
In her first transplant Feb. 7, the Mexican teenager was mistakenly given a heart and lungs from a donor with the wrong blood type. Her body rejected the organs, and she was on life support by the time a matching donor was found and a second transplant performed Thursday morning.
Though the new organs were performing well, tests early yesterday showed Jesica's brain had swelled and was bleeding, said Dr. Karen Frush, the hospital's medical director of children's services.
She said Jesica was also hooked up to dialysis machines because of damage to her kidneys.
"Yesterday after the transplant, we were all very hopeful," Dr. Frush said.
But now, "the swelling in her brain is severe, severe to the point we fear it's irreversible."
She said additional tests were planned yesterday to confirm the diagnosis.
Dr. Frush said there was no sure way to tell when the brain damage occurred. But Mr. Mahoney said doctors told the family it resulted from the time Jesica was connected to life support.
"Life support ruins kidneys, it ruins brains, it ruins all the organs of the body," he said. "What they done is played with that little girl's life, trying to make a decision on whether they was going to fess up. They were putting their bottom line before a little girl's life.
"I'm mad. I'm enraged. I'm horrified," Mr. Mahoney said. "It's a horrifying thing. You take your child to what you considered to be the best institution in the world for a particular kind of surgery and you get this."
Hospital chief executive Dr. William Fulkerson denied that the hospital had delayed the search for new organs, and pointed out that the second set was found in a matter of days.
The second transplant came 13 days after the first.
"I think we have been honest and forthcoming with Jesica's family about her medical care every step of the way and we have accepted the responsibility publicly," Dr. Fulkerson said.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide