- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 26, 2003

ALEXANDRIA, Va., Feb. 26 (UPI) — The teenager facing murder charges in relation to a sniper attack has admitted to shooting people during the spree in which 10 people in the Washington area were killed by rifle fire.

Lee Malvo, 18, is charged with murder in the death of Linda Franklin last Oct. 14. Franklin was shot as she was loading items into her car in a parking lot in Fairfax County, Va.

According to the Washington Post, prosecutors filed papers in court Tuesday stating that Malvo and John Muhammad, 47, were equals in a "sniper team." Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Raymond Morrogh wrote in the documents that Malvo was "rather boastful" in admitting to a role in the killings.

A total of 10 people were killed and three others wounded in a series of shootings from Oct. 2-22. Most of the shootings occurred in Montgomery County, Md., but there were several in Virginia — including Franklin and Dean Meyers, who was shot in Prince William County. Muhammad is charged in that killing. Both Malvo and Muhammad could face the death penalty.

Prosecutors filed documents Tuesday as part of a response to requests by attorneys representing Malvo, the Post said. Fairfax County Judge Jane Marum Roush has set Monday to hear arguments regarding pretrial motions. Malvo's trial is scheduled for Nov. 10.

According to the papers filed Tuesday, as reported by the Post, Morrogh contends that Malvo's admissions were "uncoerced and completely voluntary. There were no threats or promises made to the Defendant in the course of his admissions. In fact the Defendant was calm and rather boastful of his doings in the case."

Morrogh wrote that Malvo often referred to Muhammad as his father, even though there is no such relationship between the two. Malvo also allegedly told of how the "missions" were scouted.

The prosecutor's document, according to the Post, stated: "One would be the spotter, while the other would do the shooting. They acted as a unit. … In fact (Malvo) claimed both were equals and either could call a particular shot on or off."

There is some question as to whether the admission will be allowed in court, since Malvo made it to Virginia officials while a guardian was being appointed for the then 17-year-old. The guardian tried to stop the questioning but was reportedly stopped by police. Malvo's attorneys say police had no right to question the youth without the consent of his attorneys or guardian.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide