- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Mike Sweetney momentarily ended Georgetown's Big East pain.
Sweetney scored 15 of his game-high 27 points in the second half to snap Georgetown's two-game conference losing streak, as the Hoyas defeated Rutgers 76-66 last night before 7,644 at MCI Center.
A big dose of Sweetney and some of the poorest shooting by a Hoyas opponent this season carried Georgetown (10-4, 2-2 Big East). Sweetney posted his 28th career double-double with 27 points and 13 rebounds.
Rutgers (8-8, 0-4) did its best to hand the Hoyas the victory. Holding a 51-50 lead with 10:32 left, the Scarlet Knights made one of 10 shots from the floor in a three-minute span and Georgetown was able to open up a 58-52 lead.
The offensively challenged Hoyas couldn't have scripted a poorer start. After the first eight minutes of action, the Hoyas scored just six points and trailed 10-6. That's right, less the one point per minute.
Thankfully for the Hoyas, Sweetney ended Georgetown's shooting woes and took over. The 6-foot-8, 260-pound forward fueled a 12-1 run with five points and Georgetown led 18-11 with 7:33 left before halftime.
The first half was difficult to watch as the two teams struggled with the skill aspects of the game. Rutgers promptly hopped off the team bus and hoisted one brick up after another.
The Scarlet Knights were their own worst enemy in the first half, which concluded with Georgetown ahead 33-28. Rutgers shot 26 percent from the floor (nine of 34) their second-worst shooting effort for a half this season.
On Dec. 28 against Delaware State, the Scarlet Knights made only seven of 27 shots (25.9 percent) in the first half.
Ricky Shields and Jerome Coleman, Rutgers' starting backcourt and the team's top two scorers, combined to shoot four of 17 for 14 points in the half. Coleman made just one of six treys in the period.
The Hoyas could not keep the Scarlet Knights off the glass in the first half. The Scarlet Knights grabbed 11 offensive rebounds in the first 20 minutes compared to Georgetown's seven. If it wasn't for Sweetney's game-high nine rebounds including five offensive the discrepancy would have been much worse.
The Hoyas received a lift at the end of the half from point guard Tony Bethel. The 6-foot-2 guard scored eight of his 12 first-half points in the final 4:54. Sweetney led the Hoyas with 12 points, nine rebounds, three assists and two steals.
Georgetown opened the second half with a 6-0 run and found itself leading by 39-28, the largest lead of the game at that point.
That lead quickly evaporated as soon as Rutgers started pressing. The Scarlet Knights deployed a fullcourt man-to-man press and the Hoyas could not handle the pressure. Georgetown saw an 11-point lead reduced to a 39-36 advantage with 16:45 left in the game. Three straight Georgetown turnovers paved the way for Rutgers' run.
Georgetown's carelessness eventually got the better of the Hoyas. Rutgers took its first lead of the second half, 43-42, on a 3-pointer from the top of the key from Coleman with 13:56 left.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide