- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 28, 2003

LOUISVILLE, Ky., Jan. 28 (UPI) — A Kentucky man has filed suit against a McDonald's restaurant, claiming he bit into a hypodermic needle in a Quarter Pounder with cheese.

The man said he has lived in fear of contracting a communicable disease since the incident last February. In a lawsuit filed Monday, Gary VanHorn and his wife contended fear of spreading a disease had destroyed their marriage.

The suit said a hypodermic needle, needles and pieces of needles "had been cooked into the (hamburger) patty and/or placed between the buns." VanHorn, 39, claimed he swallowed some fragments and that one shard lodged in the roof of his mouth.

The information technology consultant said he thought he had bitten into a pin or wire and got no help from McDonald's employees when two pieces of needle lodged his mouth, one piece under his tongue. He went to Jewish Hospital and was X-rayed.

He told the Louisville Courier-Journal he faced blood tests for the next 10 years because of the possibility of contracting a disease. So far he has tested negative.

Wausau Insurance Co., which represents restaurant franchisee, MA & CFM Enterprises, said tests on needle fragments turned over by VanHorn showed they had not been in a person's mouth or swallowed.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide