- The Washington Times - Thursday, January 30, 2003

Georgetown apparently didn't learn anything from a 14-point loss against a mediocre Seton Hall team two weeks ago.

Last night, the Hoyas again were beaten by Seton Hall, 93-82 in overtime before 7,242 at MCI Center.

At this rate, it's going to be a lonely March for the Hoyas.

Academies probe possible 'white power' hand signs broadcast during Army-Navy game
Trump, Chuck Schumer find common ground on impeachment trial
FBI's wiretap of Trump campaign triggered by anonymous call

Seton Hall guards John Allen and Andre Barrett combined to score 11 of the Pirates' 19 points in overtime against the Hoyas (10-6, 2-4 Big East).

Besides dominating in overtime, Allen and Barrett combined for 39 points. Barrett scored seven points in the extra period.

Seton Hall (8-9, 3-4) earned its first road win since Feb. 9 of last season when it beat West Virginia 85-79.

"The season is not over," Hoyas coach Craig Esherick said in a 30-second post-game news conference.

That's optimistic, since the sinking Hoyas have lost four of the last five and have a brutal two-game road trip with No. 11 Notre Dame Saturday and No. 24 Syracuse Monday. Compounding the nightmarish trip is the fact that the Hoyas are 0-4 on the road.

Esherick refused to answer any questions after the game. Perhaps the first that should be posed is how the team blew a 69-65 lead with 1:57 left.

An easy answer. Mike Sweetney, Georgetown's meal ticket, had fouled out, and Esherick had players with limited basketball skills in the game at crunch time.

"We knew what was on the line and didn't pull it out," said Hoyas shooting guard Gerald Riley.

Allen cut it to 69-67 on a 15-foot jumper with 1:33 left. Riley's ensuing inbound pass was stolen by Pirates forward Andre Sweet. Allen made a driving layup and was fouled by Georgetown center Wesley Wilson and converted the free throw to give Seton Hall a 70-69 lead with 1:22 left.

Georgetown took a 72-70 lead on 3-pointer from point guard Tony Bethel with 1:07 left. Trailing 74-72, Riley sent the game into overtime when he made a driving layup with two seconds left.

The first half was a layup drill for the Pirates. Georgetown's transition defense was abysmal. The Hoyas would hoist a brick, if the shot even caught iron, and a Seton Hall player would simply release down court.

With 10:16 left before halftime, the Pirates were shooting 66.7 percent from the floor on 10 of 15 shooting and led 24-15. The Pirates pushed their first-half lead to 35-23 with 4:48 left before intermission on layups and short jumpers.

It was a fitting end to the first half when the 5-foot-10 Barrett easily penetrated the lane and found 6-8 forward Damion Fray, who put an exclamation mark on Seton Hall's first half with an emphatic two-handed dunk as the horn sounded that gave the Pirates a 39-34 lead. Fray came into the game averaging 1.3 points.

The poor-shooting Hoyas led once in the first half at 9-7 on Wesley Wilson's short bank shot with 15:28 remaining.

The Hoyas shot 33.3 percent (10 of 30) in the first half and turned the ball over seven times.

Sweetney recorded his 29th career double-double in the first half with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Take away Sweetney's shooting and the rest of the Hoyas combined to make seven of 25 shots. The Hoyas' free throw shooting (12 of 13) was the only thing that kept them in the game in the first half. The Hoyas can thank Sweetney for that also he made seven of eight free throws.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide