- The Washington Times - Sunday, January 5, 2003

YUGOSLAVIA
War-crimes suspect says he's not guilty
BELGRADE Former Serbian President Milan Milutinovic said yesterday he did not feel responsible for the Kosovo war crimes which a U.N. court charged him with in 1999.
In an interview with state television, Mr. Milutinovic, whose term expired at midnight on Dec. 29, added he would not resist any arrest attempt by Serbian police.
Mr. Milutinovic's immunity to prosecution was lifted immediately after his term ended, and Serbia said the procedure for his extradition or a transfer to the U.N. War Crimes Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague would start after the Serbian Orthodox Christmas, celebrated on tuesday. In 1999, he was the chief negotiator in France when Serbs rejected a Western-brokered political plan on Kosovo. The failure of the talks led to NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia over its oppression of the province's ethnic Albanian majority.
Several weeks into the 78-day-long bombing campaign, Mr. Milutinovic was indicted along with ex-Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic and three officials on charges of war crimes against the Albanian majority in Kosovo.
KOSOVO
3 Albanians killed in Kosovo ambush
PRISTINA Three ethnic Albanian men were shot dead in western Kosovo yesterday in what appeared to be the latest round of a feud between rival wings of the now disbanded Kosovo Liberation Army.
The killings occurred in the center of Pec, Kosovo's second-largest city, when two vehicles stopped another vehicle which then came under fire.
Local sources in Pec said one of the dead was Tahir Zemaj, a prosecution witness in a recent high-profile trial of five members of the now disbanded KLA who were convicted of murdering four members of a rival armed group led by Mr. Zemaj. The other two victims were Mr. Zemaj's son and his nephew.

RUSSIA
Family to appeal ruling in Chechen killing
MOSCOW The relatives of a Chechen woman strangled by a senior Russian officer are to appeal a military court ruling that he was insane when he killed her, their attorney said yesterday.
Yuri Budanov, the only senior officer to be tried for crimes against civilians since Russian forces re-entered separatist Chechnya in 1999, strangled Elza Kungayeva, an 18-year-old he accused of being a rebel sniper, during interrogation at a military base.
He was arrested in March 2000. Last week a military court cleared him of criminal responsibility, ruling he was temporarily insane and ordering psychiatric treatment.
WEEKLY NOTES .. .
GREEK POLICE YESTERDAY ARRESTED A KAZAKHSTAN-BORN MAN FOR SMUGGLING 57 RELIGIOUS ICONS FROM UKRAINE INTO GREECE. NIKOLAOS IAKOVIDIS, 48, NABBED AT THE GREEK-BULGARIAN BORDER PASSAGE OF PROMACHONAS, HAD HIDDEN THE ICONS IN HIS TRUCK LOADED WITH DRY FRUITS. ARCHAEOLOGISTS SAID THE ICONS, STOLEN FROM UKRAINIAN CHURCHES, DATED FROM THE 17TH OR 18TH CENTURY. TWENTY GERMAN MEN WILL SPEND EIGHT WEEKS MOTIONLESS IN HOSPITAL BEDS AS PART OF AN EXPERIMENT STARTING NEXT MONTH TO SIMULATE THE EFFECTS OF A TRIP TO MARS. BERLIN'S FREE UNIVERSITY SAID PARTICIPANTS WILL BE PAID $5,000 EACH. THE TESTS, SUPERVISED BY THE BERLIN CENTER FOR MUSCULAR OSTEOLOGICAL RESEARCH IN COOPERATION WITH THE EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY, WILL HELP WORK OUT SUITABLE TRAINING METHODS FOR A FUTURE MANNED MARS MISSION EXPECTED AROUND 2014-15.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide