- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 15, 2003

PALACIOS, Texas (AP) — Hurricane Claudette sloshed ashore on the Texas Gulf Coast yesterday, peeling off roofs, knocking out power and flooding low-lying areas before its whistling wind began to let up.

No serious injuries were reported along the 350-mile Texas coast, but the Coast Guard had to rescue two men whose 92-foot shrimp boat sank.

Claudette became a hurricane, the first of the Atlantic storm season, early yesterday when sustained wind around its eye reached 74 mph. By the time it hit land at midday, its sustained wind topped 80 mph and gusts of 88 mph were recorded at Wadsworth, site of the South Texas Project nuclear power plant.

“The windows are flexing, it’s howling, and I’m wondering what … I’m doing here,” Ed Conaway said at the power plant, just north of where Claudette’s eye made landfall.

An Air Force hurricane hunter plane recorded wind of almost 98 mph northeast of the storm’s eye just before landfall, according to the National Hurricane Center, which estimated that sustained wind is likely to have been at 86 mph when Claudette crossed the coastline.

Claudette began losing its punch after reaching Texas and was downgraded late yesterday afternoon to a tropical storm, with sustained wind down to 70 mph.

Alerts along a 130-mile stretch of coast from Port Aransas to Freeport were reduced to tropical storm warnings, and all other weather warnings for the Texas coast were discontinued.

Gov. Rick Perry signed a disaster relief proclamation to help speed state and federal response, and authorized the National Guard to help with rescue and recovery.

During the storm, Gary Lawrence watched as the wind toppled the roof over gasoline pumps at the Shell Food Mart where he works just east of Carancahua Bay, between Palacios and Port Lavaca.

“It was real gradual, then it went down,” he said, speaking through the store’s broken front window. “Then, a little while later, something else flew in and broke the window.”

Palacios, a fishing community of 4,500 bordered by rice fields and grazing pastures, was without power yesterday. The roof at the municipal airport was damaged and a shed covering golf carts at a golf course blew apart, some of its sheet metal wrapping around a palm tree.

At Bayfront RV Park, on the shore of Matagorda Bay, three trailers were flattened and two others were overturned. Nobody was inside them, said Jack Linney, who had been securing his boat nearby.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide