- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 16, 2003

LOS ANGELES (AP) — With the U.S. Supreme Court striking down a California law that made it easier to prosecute sex offenders, a judge’s decision on whether to force the Los Angeles Archdiocese to release priests’ personnel files is taking on greater importance.

The ruling could affect the fate of scores of civil suits against the church that are still in play after the high court decision caused several criminal cases involving priests to be thrown out.

At very least, accusers say, opening up the documents may vindicate their claims.

But the judge considering prosecutors’ requests to release files is doing so in closed-door grand jury proceedings, so it’s not clear when — if ever — his decision will be made public.

The result may be more frustration for those who claim they were molested by Roman Catholic priests and are pursuing civil lawsuits.

Purported victims already were outraged last month when the Supreme Court overturned a California law that lifted the statute of limitations in criminal prosecution of old molestation cases.

The ruling increased the importance of the Los Angeles Archdiocese’s files, in large part because the documents could provide fresh evidence for prosecutors in the civil suits, which aren’t subject to the statute of limitations.

“If there are cases that can still be pursued, we are going to pursue them vigorously,” said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.

The Los Angeles Archdiocese — the nation’s biggest — is the only Catholic diocese in California that has adopted the stance that priests’ personnel files are protected by the First Amendment, though other dioceses around the country have made similar arguments.

“Wouldn’t you think that the largest Roman Catholic archdiocese in the country would be taking a position of openness?” said Katherine Freberg, an Irvine attorney who represents 112 purported victims.

Tod Tamberg, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Archdiocese, said the church is not trying to create immunity for priests serving the 5 million Catholics at 287 parishes.

“We are not concealing wrongdoing,” Mr. Tamberg said. “That was not our purpose for asking that these documents remain sealed.”

At issue, he said, is the sanctity of private conversations between priests and bishops, which the church argues is protected speech under the Constitution.

If the files are made public, Mr. Tamberg said, “No priest will talk to a bishop because that may end up on the front page of a newspaper one day.”

Mr. Tamberg said the church remains committed to compensation for victims of church abuse and is “moving forward in good faith.”

In Boston, Cardinal Bernard Law resigned as archbishop in December after personnel records, made public by court order, revealed that he and other church administrators protected priests accused of molesting children.

For now, the Los Angeles files are locked in criminal court, unavailable to prosecutors or the accusers’ lawyers. The archdiocese has said the files contain reports by people claiming abuse by priests, psychological evaluations of the priests and transcripts of their interviews by bishops.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide