- The Washington Times - Friday, July 25, 2003

David Brooks hired by New York Times

The New York Times announced yesterday that David Brooks, a former editorial writer at The Washington Times and current senior editor at the Weekly Standard, will be writing a twice-weekly Op-Ed column for the newspaper.

The announcement was made by Arthur Sulzberger Jr., publisher of the New York Times, and Gail Collins, editor of the editorial page.

“One of our goals is always to have a team of Op-Ed columnists with a wide range of views and areas of interest,” Ms. Collins said of the conservative writer. “But it’s even more important that they be writers with compelling voices. On both counts, I think David will be a great addition to the page.”

Mr. Brooks’ column will appear twice a week beginning in early September.

Mr. Brooks, 41, is a frequent contributor to the New York Times. He has also been a contributing editor at Newsweek and the Atlantic Monthly, and a regular commentator on PBS’ “The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.” He was also an editorial-page writer and editor at the Wall Street Journal.

‘Hunting for Bambi’ called a hoax

LAS VEGAS — A promoter who offered to take men on “Hunting for Bambi” safaris, in which they could hunt down naked young women with paintball guns, admitted that it was a hoax designed to sell videos, the mayor says.

Michael Burdick found himself in the cross hairs of women’s groups after he told a Las Vegas TV station that he was selling reservations to men willing to pay $5,000 to $10,000 for the safari experience.

Las Vegas officials investigated and found that the safaris were nothing but a hoax to promote the “Hunting for Bambi” videos that Mr. Burdick sells. The videos show nude women being hunted by men.

The footage in the videos “was all staged,” Mayor Oscar B. Goodman said. “There were actors and actresses, and there wasn’t even the real shooting of paintballs.”

Mr. Burdick did not immediately respond yesterday to messages from the Associated Press, but he had previously insisted that the hunts were real.

Nuns sent to prison for damaging missile silo

DENVER — A federal judge sentenced three nuns to at least 2 years in prison yesterday for vandalizing a nuclear-missile silo during an antiwar protest in the fall.

Despite calling them “dangerously irresponsible,” U.S. District Judge Robert Blackburn gave the women less than the six-year minimum called for under sentencing guidelines. They were convicted in April of obstructing the national defense and damaging government property.

The Roman Catholic nuns cut a fence and walked onto a Minuteman III silo site in October, pounding the silo with hammers and painting a cross on it with their blood. Officials said they caused at least $1,000 in damage.

The nuns had until Aug. 25 to report to prison, but chose to go immediately.

John Lennon film sells for nearly $54,000

NEW YORK — Two reels of never-before-seen 16 mm film footage depicting John Lennon walking around New York City sold for $53,775 yesterday at a Christie’s auction of show-business memorabilia.

Several lots related to the former Beatle were the highlights of the auction, which also saw a childhood photo of Marilyn Monroe go under the hammer for more than $31,000.

The Lennon film, lasting 40 minutes and shot without sound, was snapped up by an anonymous buyer.

The footage was taken by a young filmmaker who approached Mr. Lennon and asked to film him with a new camera. The result is a day in the life of the post-Beatle Lennon, wandering around Central Park and shopping in Manhattan in 1974.

Two charged with bid to export military gear

A federal grand jury has indicted two California men on charges of attempting to illegally export military components for F-4 and F-5 fighters to China, according to the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

ICE chief Michael J. Garcia, the bureau’s acting assistant secretary, said Amanullah Khan, 54, of Santa Ana, and Ziad Jamil Gammoh, 53, of Tustin, were also charged with conspiring to export parts for F-14 Tomcat fighters, AH-1J attack helicopters and Hawk surface-to-air missiles.

The indictments were handed up July 18 and unsealed Thursday.

ICE spokesman Dean Boyd said Mr. Khan, a naturalized U.S. citizen and Pakistani native, was already in custody on an unrelated matter.

He said Mr. Gammoh, a naturalized U.S. citizen and a native of Jordan, was taken into custody at his residence without incident.

From wire service dispatches and staff reports.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide