- The Washington Times - Monday, July 28, 2003

Greenbelt Police are using an interpreter to help solve a home invasion Sunday that resulted in the fatal stabbing of a woman visiting from China — the fourth slaying in the community this year.

The witness, who speaks Mandarin Chinese, told investigators through the interpreter that she heard a commotion on the first floor at about 4 p.m., then saw two men struggling and a woman on the stairs bleeding from apparent stab wounds.

Police have identified the stabbing victim as Yu Ying Yang, 50, who was pronounced dead at Prince George’s General Hospital.

One of the men in the struggle is identified as Mrs. Yang’s 59-year-old husband, who was treated at the hospital for stab wounds and released. Police did not release his name.

“They had come to the area four or five days earlier,” said Officer George Mathews, Greenbelt Police Department spokesman.

The other man is identified as the suspect, an Asian male with dark hair.

The witness said she escaped from the attacker by locking herself in an upstairs bedroom of the home in the 7100 block of Mathew Road.

Police said that there was no sign of forced entry, and that neighbors reported as many 20 people living inside the house.

“There were a lot of people coming and going,” said Nada Wilson, who lives across the street and was surprised that only three persons were apparently in the house during the incident.

Police said they have no motive.

The incident was the second violent crime reported Sunday in Greenbelt.

At about 2:16 a.m., two Greenbelt police officers taking a stolen vehicle report from a resident were shot at near an apartment building in the 5900 block of Cherrywood Terrace.

Police said somebody fired the shots from the roadway. One officer fired back in the direction of the gunshot and pushed the second officer to safety toward the apartments. However, the officer fell into a plate glass window and received minor cuts to his head and one arm.

Minutes later, police found a 15-year-old male in the roadway with a gunshot wound to the leg. He was taken to Prince George’s General Hospital and treated for a non-life-threatening injury.

Investigators said none of the shell casings from the officer’s gun matched the bullet that hit the victim.

“It is still unknown if the youth was involved,” Officer Mathews said. No gun was found on the scene.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide