- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 3, 2003


Bombing suspect dies in shootout

JIDDA — An al Qaeda member who was the top suspect wanted in the Riyadh suicide bombings was killed along with three other militants in a shootout with police yesterday, officials said.

Police swooped down early yesterday on Turki Nasser al-Dandani and his associates, who were holed up in a house in the town of Suweir, 560 miles northwest of the capital, an Interior Ministry official said.

After a five-hour standoff, the suspects ran out of ammunition. Four suspects, including al-Dandani, were killed; a fifth man gave himself up. Earlier, officials said al-Dandani had blown himself up, but it was not clear late yesterday how he had died.


Blix to head panel on weapons

STOCKHOLM — Hans Blix, who stepped down as U.N. weapons inspector this week, will head a planned international commission on weapons of mass destruction, Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh said yesterday.

The commission, which is an initiative of the Swedish government, is expected to report its findings in 2005.

Mr. Blix, a Swede, formally ended Monday, days after his 75th birthday, a three-year quest for Iraq’s chemical, biological and ballistic missiles as head of the U.N. Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission.


Capital to ration water as shortage looms

HARARE — Zimbabwe’s capital city will start rationing scarce water supplies in a move likely to hit industries already grappling with a harsh economic climate, the official Herald newspaper reported yesterday.

At least 400 companies have ceased operations over the past two years as the southern African country grapples with a severe economic crisis blamed on President Robert Mugabe.


First post-genocide vote set for August

KIGALI — The first presidential elections since genocide devastated Rwanda nearly a decade ago will be held on Aug. 25, the government announced yesterday in its latest move toward stabilizing the African nation’s democracy.

Rwandans will then elect a new parliament on Sept. 29, marking the end of a transitional government that has run the country since the slaughter of more than 500,000 Tutsis and political moderates from the Hutu majority.


Iranian opposition leader leaves jail

AUVERS-SUR-OISE — The leader of an Iranian exile group seeking to topple Tehran’s government was released from jail yesterday and insisted her organization, considered terrorist by many nations, was law-abiding.

Maryam Rajavi, leader of the Mujahideen Khalq, greeted a cheering crowd as she returned to the group’s headquarters in the Paris suburb of Auvers-sur-Oise.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide