- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 30, 2003

PHILIPPINES

Military intelligence chief quits over mutiny

MANILA — The Philippine military intelligence chief resigned yesterday — the first top official to step down after a failed mutiny by officers and soldiers demanding military reforms.

But Brig. Gen. Victor Corpus warned that the crisis surrounding the insurrection was far from over. The mutineers charged Gen. Corpus with involvement in a recent deadly bombing to justify more military aid from Washington.

Gen. Corpus denied the charges against him, but said he was resigning to quell dissent. President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo accepted his resignation from the intelligence post.

TURKEY

Parliament approves EU-demanded reforms

ANKARA — Parliament approved reforms yesterday intended to scale back the influence of the military in politics, seeking to improve Turkey’s chances of joining the European Union.

The measures, the latest in a series of reforms to strengthen democracy in Turkey, aim to meet EU demands to curtail military influence.

Ankara wants to start negotiations for EU membership by the end of next year.

SIERRA LEONE

Rebel leader Sankoh dies in U.N. custody

FREETOWN — Foday Sankoh, an indicted Sierra Leone war criminal whose rebel forces were notorious for hacking off the limbs, lips and ears of civilians, died in U.N. custody at a Freetown hospital, the war-crimes court said yesterday. He was 65.

Sankoh died late Tuesday, said David Hecht, spokesman for the U.N.-Sierra Leone war crimes court. No cause of death was given, but Sankoh reportedly suffered a mild stroke after his capture in early 2000 and had been ill and disoriented.

A former wedding photographer and Sierra Leone soldier, Sankoh trained in the Cold War guerrilla camps of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. His Revolutionary United Front, founded in Libya in 1988-1989, launched the insurgency in 1991, bent on winning control of Sierra Leone’s government and diamond fields.

Sankoh faced a 17-count indictment before the war-crimes court.

RWANDA

Verdict due today

in 1994 genocide

KIGALI - A Rwandan court is set to deliver its verdict today on 139 persons in the biggest trial so far of suspects accused of taking part in the country’s 1994 genocide, officials said.

“They are all accused of committing acts constituting genocide,” said Gerald Gahima, public prosecutor of Butare province, where the trial is being held in the town of Gikonko, south of the capital Kigali.

The suspects face sentences ranging from 25 years in prison to the death penalty, officials added.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide