- The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 10, 2003


State marks anniversary of Evers slaying

JACKSON — Medgar and Myrlie Evers’ three children practiced safety drills in the early 1960s, when their father held one of the most dangerous jobs in then-segregated Mississippi: field secretary of the state NAACP.

If there were strange noises outside, everyone was supposed to crawl to the bathroom.

When they left the car, they exited from the passenger side because it was closer to the house door.

On June 12, 1963, 40 years ago this week, Medgar Evers was cut down by an assassin’s bullet in the driveway of his home in northwest Jackson. He was 37.

His assassination, rather than snuffing out a fledgling civil rights movement, focused attention on the plight of blacks across the South.

Several events this week, including an Evers family homecoming today in Decatur, will mark the anniversary and recognize the civil rights leader’s legacy.


Vision for Reno: A river runs through it

RENO — For decades in Reno, business success was based on a simple formula: Keep ‘em indoors.

It was heresy to suggest that the gambling business could profit from letting customers slip away from the slot machines and blackjack tables.

Now, as competition grows from casinos on Indian reservations in nearby California and elsewhere, Reno sees its future in luring people who want, at least part of the time, to be outdoors — hiking in the Sierra, rafting on the Truckee River and mountain biking at Lake Tahoe.

The latest push is a 24-mile whitewater-recreation corridor that would include a kayaking slalom course through downtown Reno. It should carry a younger, more athletic crowd to a town where the customer base had been turning geriatric.

Harrah’s and Eldorado hotel-casinos are chipping in $500,000 each for the $22 million project, which is scheduled to begin this summer.


Teenager charged in fatal shootings

FAYETTE — A teenager was charged yesterday with three counts of murder in the shootings of two police officers and a dispatcher as they tried to book him for car theft, then fleeing.

Devin Moore, 18, was captured nearly four hours later after shooting the three Saturday in this rural community of about 5,000, police said. He remained in jail without bail and faces the death penalty if convicted.

Moore, who had just graduated from high school and was about to join the Air Force, is reported to have taken one of the officer’s guns, shot all three at the Fayette police station and fled, prosecutors said. He was captured in Mississippi.


Bishop apologizes to Catholic parishioners

PHOENIX — Bishop Thomas O’Brien apologized during the weekend in a letter to Catholics for the pain inflicted by sexually abusive priests under his supervision.

Bishop O’Brien signed an immunity deal last month in an investigation of reported abuse in the church.

Although prosecutors say they had enough evidence to indict Bishop O’Brien on obstruction of justice charges, the priest maintains that he didn’t commit a crime.


Mayors endorse homeless relief

DENVER — A plan by President Bush to end chronic homelessness in 10 years won support in a largely symbolic vote yesterday at the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

During the closing session of the five-day conference, the 225 mayors endorsed the president’s proposal, which seeks to provide permanent housing and services to chronically homeless people, freeing up resources for people who find themselves temporarily homeless.

Major cities have been asked to come up with solutions by working with nonprofit groups and businesses.

Last year, the federal government awarded more than $1.1 billion in homeless assistance to more than 2,000 local projects. Next year, about $1.5 billion in assistance is planned.


NASA reschedules launch of rover

CAPE CANAVERAL — For a second time, the threat of thunderstorms forced the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to postpone the launch of a rocket holding the first of two golf-cart-sized rovers destined to examine the surface of Mars for evidence of water.

The launch was postponed until this afternoon.

Storms and high wind Sunday led NASA to reschedule the flight for yesterday afternoon. The weather was expected to improve by today.

The second rover is scheduled for launch later this month, and both vehicles are to arrive at Mars in January.

The rovers were officially named on Sunday. Third-grader Sofi Collis, 9, of Scottsdale, Ariz., chose the name Spirit for the first rover and Opportunity for the second in a nationwide contest that drew 10,000 entries.


West Nile resurfaces in 24 states

ATLANTA — U.S. health officials reported yesterday that the West Nile virus had resurfaced in two dozen states, but they stopped short of predicting another record outbreak of the sometimes-deadly mosquito-borne disease.

West Nile has been detected in birds, horses and mosquitoes in at least 24 states this year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has tracked the virus since it emerged in the United States in 1999.

No human cases have been reported this year.

There were 4,156 cases of West Nile, including 284 deaths, in the United States last year, according to the CDC. The outbreak was the largest since the virus first appeared in the Western Hemisphere four years ago.


Graduation held amid hazing scandal

NORTHBROOK — The high school in an affluent Chicago suburb where dozens of girls were brutally hazed last month held its graduation ceremony Sunday with little mention of the scandal that garnered nationwide attention.

Thirty-one seniors were expelled and 20 juniors were suspended from Glenbrook North High School in recent weeks after videotapes surfaced showing senior girls beating junior girls and showering them in filth while other students watched.

Graduation speakers Sunday made no mention of the hazing incident, but pointed to a number of achievements by Glenbrook North students in the past year, including the state debate championship and a third-place finish in the state Class AA boys basketball tournament.


Daniels files paperwork for gubernatorial bid

INDIANAPOLIS — Ending months of speculation, former White House budget director Mitchell E. Daniels Jr. filed paperwork yesterday to start raising money for a 2004 run for Indiana governor.

The announcement outside the statehouse came from state Sen. Murray Clark of Indianapolis, who said he was dropping his bid for the Republican nomination and would lead Mr. Daniels’ campaign committee.

Supporters said Mr. Clark’s withdrawal gave the official start of Mr. Daniels’ campaign a tremendous boost.


Ex-priest pleads guilty in abuse case

LA GRANGE — A retired Roman Catholic priest who admitted to molesting 21 children over decades pleaded guilty yesterday to more abuse charges.

Louis Miller, who was at the forefront of the Louisville archdiocese’s sex-abuse scandal, entered his pleas in Oldham County Circuit Court to 14 felony counts of indecent and immoral practice involving eight children.

Miller, 72, already received a 20-year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty in March to charges in Jefferson County — 44 counts of indecent and immoral practices with another and six counts of sexual abuse. The charges involved 21 victims all were younger 15 when the abuse took place between 1972 and 1975.


Computer program given high marks

AUGUSTA — Maine’s first-in-the-nation program that gave computers to students in all 241 public middle schools is receiving high marks from educators at the end of the first full year of the experiment.

The program began in the fall with 17,000 seventh-graders and 3,000 teachers using the computers.


Harvard Medical School considers easing rules

CAMBRIDGE — Harvard Medical School is considering relaxing its policies restricting financial ties between faculty researchers and private drug companies, a review that comes as pharmaceutical giants are relocating some research operations to the Boston area.

Harvard’s policy, considered among the toughest in the nation, forbids its researchers from owning more than $20,000 of stock in companies that finance research in their labs. They also cannot receive more than $10,000 in consulting fees from those companies or spend more than 20 percent of their time on non-Harvard research.

“There are people who are very unhappy” about the limits, Harvard Medical School’s associate dean for faculty affairs, Margaret Dale, told the Boston Globe for yesterday’s editions. But she said that within the faculty “there are people on all sides of the spectrum.”


Governor vows to guard water of Great Lakes

LANSING — Gov. Jennifer Granholm wants tighter controls on the use of Great Lakes water and said she will fight plans to divert water from the region.

The governor said Michigan needs a statutory framework like other states to protect Great Lakes water.

States that don’t border the lakes increasingly want access, she told the Detroit News.


Reporter fired for plagiarism

KANSAS CITY — A small-town newspaper plans to adopt and publish a code of ethics after a sports writer was fired for plagiarizing sports columns and parts of a movie review.

Michael Kinney, 29, was fired by the Sedalia Democrat after an investigation prompted by a reader who called the paper last month to report similarities between a movie review by Mr. Kinney and one written by nationally syndicated columnist Roger Ebert.

“We have let our readers down by publishing without attribution material taken from other writers under Michael Kinney’s byline,” Editor Oliver Wiest wrote.


Woman charged in shoe slaying

NEW YORK — A woman whose ex-boyfriend died after she beat him with her size 12 high-heel shoe was charged with manslaughter Sunday, police said.

Roosevelt Bonds, 51, died Saturday after the brawl outside a Brooklyn nightclub, police said. Anna Rhinehart, 40, apparently knocked him down and beat him repeatedly with the shoe, police said.

A spokeswoman for the city medical examiner said Mr. Bonds died of chest compression and blunt trauma to the head, neck and torso.


Job interview leads to applicant’s arrest

OKLAHOMA CITY — A note to all job seekers: The employment interview isn’t going well if the police are called to arrest you.

Anthony Kaleb Phillips, 20, was hauled away from an interview for a job with a construction company in Stillwater last week after employees recognized the job applicant as the person seen on a surveillance videotape stealing from the same business just one day before, police said yesterday.

Mr. Phillips is expected to be arraigned this week on burglary charges in the theft of a $100 tool from the construction company and about $1,000 worth of items from an employee’s car parked at the office, court officials said.

“When he went out there to apply for the job, there was no one there. So he just helped himself to some items and left,” said Payne County Undersheriff Kenneth Willerton. “However, he was caught on videotape.” A day after the robbery, Mr. Phillips applied for a job with the construction company and was arrested.


Students could face charges in food fight

DANVILLE — A food fight could put some high school students in hot water.

Police are considering filing criminal charges after more than 20 Danville High School students took part in a food fight Thursday. Superintendent Richard Martz said some seniors might not be allowed to attend graduation next week.

“The bottom line is that it will not go unnoticed. It will not go unresponded to,” Mr. Martz said.

Some students said the food fight had been planned as an end-of-the-year prank.

Police Chief Rae Leighow said he expected to file disorderly conduct charges .


Drug traffickers nabbed more often on Interstate

SIOUX FALLS — The state Highway Patrol is making bigger drug arrests on Interstate 90 as the highway becomes an increasingly popular route for dealers who want to move drugs across the country, officials say.

Since January, troopers have seized more than $1.8 million in drug-related cash and thousands of pounds of narcotics from vehicles using I-90.


Officers found guilty of not helping immigrant

HOUSTON — Three former immigration officers were found guilty yesterday of not helping an illegal immigrant whose neck was broken during a raid.

Louis Rey Gomez, 37; Richard Henry Gonzales, 37; and Carlos Reyna, 43, of San Antonio were convicted of willfully denying Serafin Olvera-Carrera medical care after his paralyzing injury.

The immigrant was left a quadriplegic. Eleven months after the beating, he suffered heart and respiratory problems related to his paralysis, and was left brain dead. He died after being taken off life support.

The officers said they thought Mr. Olvera-Carrera, 47, was faking his injuries after the 2001 raid on a home. The jury also found Gonzales guilty of using excessive force by spraying Mr. Olvera-Carrera with pepper spray. Reyna was found not guilty of using excessive force by beating the immigrant.


Family files claim over police chief’s killing

TACOMA — Relatives of the wife of the former police chief, who killed her and himself in a parking lot shooting, filed a $75 million claim yesterday, accusing the city officials of ignoring danger signs about the man.

David Brame shot his estranged wife, Crystal, and himself April 26 in suburban Gig Harbor.

Since the killing, the Washington State Patrol has been investigating his career, including a date-rape claim against him in the late 1980s and his performance on a psychological test in the early 1980s that found him unfit for duty.

The claim filed with the City Clerk’s Office by Crystal Brame’s family says the city did not respond to “several pieces of information that should have triggered actions to protect Crystal from David, including evidence of psychological problems that could lead to violence, domestic-abuse allegations and a history of rape and sexual harassment allegations.”


Park rangers searching for bouncing bear

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK — Yellowstone park rangers are trying to find a bouncing bear.

Park officials erected a decoy tent in the hope of luring the mischievous bear that has been hopping on tents.

On Sunday the bear bounced onto an unoccupied tent near Grebe Lake just west of Canyon Junction. The park had closed the campground last Tuesday and put up the decoy tent, park spokeswoman Cheryl Matthews said.

Meanwhile, Pebble Creek campground and West Thumb Geyser Basin remain off-limits to visitors after recent bear encounters. A young grizzly pounced on an unoccupied tent in Yellowstone National Park Sunday, crushing the tent before leaving. No one was injured.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide