- The Washington Times - Friday, March 14, 2003

An infant and a toddler were critically injured yesterday when a D.C. Water and Sewer Authority truck driver ran a red light and struck them at an intersection in Northwest, then sped off, authorities say.
Thomas Davis, 47, of the 900 block of Webster St. NW, was taken into custody at Sherman Circle NW, about a mile from the accident, which occurred at Georgia and New Hampshire avenues NW. Police charged Mr. Davis with leaving after colliding.
D.C. fire department spokesman Alan Etter said the children, 23-month-old Jossan Zavala and 9-month-old Miguel Zavala, were transported to Children's Hospital where they are in critical but stable condition with multiple fractures and abrasions. The boys' mother, Dilcia Zavala, 21, was pushing the boys in a stroller at the time. She was not hurt, Mr. Etter said.
The truck described as a light pickup by WASA spokeswoman Libby Lawson, was traveling north on Georgia Avenue at 11:45 a.m. when it reportedly hit the children. The mother had pushed the stroller about 10 feet into the intersection when they were struck.
"It was just horrible," said William Westray, who was installing a door at a shop about 50 feet from the accident scene. "There was a very loud thump. It was definitely the impact of a vehicle."
Mr. Westray, 31, said by the time he looked up the truck had passed out of sight. He said he immediately dialed 911, and about 15 onlookers crowded around the victims.
He said a woman picked up the 2-year-old, and he could see blood coming from the child's head.
He said the child appeared to be unconscious.
Mr. Westray said he could not see the baby, who was wrapped in a blanket.
Mr. Etter said witnesses to the accident flagged down a fire truck and an ambulance that were passing by. The medical crew picked up the woman and the two children and took them to Children's Hospital.
The stroller was left where it was thrown on the intersection's northeast corner. It tipped, spilling a pair of baby shoes onto the sidewalk.
Police said witnesses followed the truck and persuaded the driver to pull over in Sherman Circle at Kansas Avenue and Crittenden streets NW.
A pedestrian flagged down a passing ambulance and notified them that the driver had gotten out of the truck and was sitting on the steps of a house. Mr. Etter said witnesses told medical technicians the driver appeared to be sick.
Police said they are investigating whether a reported diabetic condition played a role in the accident.
Mr. Etter said emergency medical technicians evaluated the driver at the scene and found there was no need to take him to a hospital.
Police took him to 4th District headquarters for questioning.
Miss Lawson said Mr. Thomas was a water meter maintenance man who had been with the agency about 20 years.
She said he was driving a truck that requires no special license, and that she was checking his medical background to see if he had reported any medical condition.
Mr. Thomas will be arraigned in D.C. Superior Court today. Peter Lavalle, a spokesman for the D.C. Office of Corporation Counsel, said a first-time charge of leaving after colliding carries a fine of up to $500 and up to six months in jail.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide