- The Washington Times - Monday, March 24, 2003

On a weekend filled with surprising results, Georgetown missed catching the upset bug barely.
Sophomore attackman Jordan Vettoretti scored from just outside the crease with 2:19 left in overtime to lift the fifth-ranked Hoyas to a 6-5 victory over No.8 Duke at Harbin Field.
Ironically, Vettoretti scored on a play that almost never works when the Hoyas practice.
"Against our defense it's tough because they know what we're going to be doing," Vettoretti said. "They're real good against that play. When we go out against someone else, we hope it works and we give it a shot. Today it worked out."
Duke (6-3) had the first chance to score in overtime after Kevin Cassese won the opening faceoff. However, Matt Zash threw a pass out of bounds to turn possession over to the Hoyas (5-0).
The winning goal was then set up by Walid Hajj. The junior midfielder darted to the right 12 yards from the crease and zipped a pass to Vettoretti, who was waiting to the right of Duke goalie A.J. Kincel (15 saves).
"I probably never throw it to him in practice, but he got open," Hajj said. "It was a great finish."
The nation's top three teams Virginia, Maryland and Syracuse all lost on a tumultuous Saturday. The Hoyas, one of three remaining undefeated teams in Division I along with Massachusetts and Rutgers, could jump to second or third when this week's poll is released today.
It was a predictably rugged game between two of the best defensive teams in the country. Kincel and Georgetown goalie Rich D'Andrea (10 saves) combined to allow just 11 goals on 81 shots.
"I'm not sure all our shots tested their goalie as much as their shots tested our guy, but we also kissed the pipe at least two or three times," Georgetown coach Dave Urick said. "You have to find the ability to win and we don't go into many games thinking it's going to be 6-5. But if you can keep playing good defense, you're going to stay around."
The Blue Devils nearly won in regulation after taking a 5-4 lead on Cassese's sidearm shot with 12:41 to go. After killing off a penalty, the Hoyas tied it when Vettoretti fed attackman Mike Hammer a pass from the side of the net with less than six minutes left.
Duke had chances in the closing minutes. A Cassese shot grazed the back of the net in the final two minutes. After the Blue Devils regained possession moments later, Kevin Brennan's dart from 15 yards out pelted Duke attackman Mack Hardaker in the back and rolled out of bounds.
While Duke had some problems late in the game, the Hoyas were plagued by shaky shooting all afternoon. Georgetown wasted several scoring opportunities in the first half, scoring four goals on 25 shots. During a seven-minute stretch in the second quarter, the Hoyas went scoreless even though Duke committed two penalties and failed on three straight clearing attempts.
The Hoyas eventually capitalized on a Blue Devils botched clear when Hajj scored in transition to give Georgetown a 3-1 lead. Duke then sandwiched two goals around another Hajj score to pull within 4-3 at halftime. The Blue Devils scored the only goal of the third quarter as the defenses began to dominate in the second half.
"It's one for the time capsule," Urick said. "These two teams bring out a lot of intensity to the game. Sometimes maybe the game was a little ragged and a little sloppy and it was as much because of the intensity as anything else."

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide