- The Washington Times - Thursday, March 27, 2003

BOISE, Idaho (AP) A second U.S. serviceman injured in a grenade attack in Kuwait has died as military investigators continue to gather evidence against the Army sergeant suspected in Saturday's attack.
Air Force Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, based in Boise, was pronounced dead early Tuesday at an Army field hospital in Kuwait, the Idaho Air National Guard said. Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pa., also was killed in the incident, and 14 other soldiers were injured.
Sgt. Asan Akbar was transferred to a military jail in Germany on Tuesday after a judge found probable cause to try him for the assault. The sergeant, a Muslim, who told his family that he was wary of going to war in Iraq, has not been charged.
The Army said Sgt. Akbar was taken from Camp Doha, Kuwait, to the Mannheim Confinement Facility, where he will await a pretrial investigation. It was not clear where that would take place.
Sgt. Akbar was taken into custody Sunday, shortly after explosions rocked several tents at Camp Pennsylvania, the Kuwaiti headquarters of the 101st Airborne Division's 1st Brigade.
"It appears that the explosions were the result of three grenades that were thrown or rolled through the front door of each of these three tents," said a statement from Fort Campbell, Ky., home of the 101st.
Army investigators will complete a report and send it to Sgt. Akbar's superiors, said Marc Raimondi, a spokesman for the Army's Criminal Investigation Division in Virginia.
Before the latest death, military experts said Sgt. Akbar could face one charge of intentional murder and additional charges of attempted murder for the wounded soldiers.
Eugene Fidell, a Washington lawyer and founder of the National Institute of Military Justice, said the crime could warrant the death penalty, which is rare in the military.
There are six persons on the military's death row, but there have been no military executions since 1961.
Lt. Col. Tim Marsano, spokesman for the Idaho Air National Guard, said Maj. Stone, a 20-year active and reserve veteran of the Air Force, was the air liaison officer with the Army's 101st Airborne Division at Camp Pennsylvania.
Maj. Stone graduated from Benson High School in Portland, Ore., and Oregon State University. He enlisted in 1983, went through the ROTC program at Oregon State and was commissioned in 1988.
Maj. Stone had two sons, ages 11 and 7, who live in Boise.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide