- The Washington Times - Monday, March 31, 2003

ANNAPOLIS Trevor Walker just wanted to get off the field.
After battling a wintry mix of rain and snow as well as a tough Navy defense all afternoon, the Georgetown midfielder scooped up a ground ball off a goal mouth scrum and scored 2:20 into sudden-death overtime to lead the fourth-ranked Hoyas to a 4-3 victory over No.12 Navy yesterday at Rip Miller Field.
Walker, the only player to score twice, gained possession on a ball that was batted around in front of the crease. He took two steps toward the goal to beat Navy defensive midfielder Dan Griffin before depositing a shot past Mids goalie Seth DiNola (10 saves) to clinch the win.
"They kind of fed it inside to [attackman] Neal Goldman and someone checked his stick," Walker said. "It just bounced to me. I just made the most of the opportunity and I tried to find the net to get out of here."
The Hoyas (6-0, 3-0 ECAC) are the only undefeated team remaining in Division I.
It was the lowest offensive output for Navy (4-4, 0-3) since an 11-1 loss to Johns Hopkins in 1999.
The weather allowed what already was expected to be a low-scoring affair to evolve into a sloppy, error-filled game. Both teams had difficulty passing the ball and combined for 14 failed clears. The slick turf caused players to slip throughout the game.
The steady rain that at times turned to snow was especially frustrating for the Hoyas, who had enjoyed decent field conditions in their first five games.
"The most difficult part was holding on to your stick," Hoyas defenseman Pat Collins said. "It was just like rain, but it was a little icy so it made it so slippery that there were a lot of times where you saw sticks just pop right out of people's hands."
The weather proved favorable for the Mids, who had played through snow in a season-opening defeat of Marist and had hoped to control the tempo against the Hoyas. Georgetown took only 32 shots and had difficulty finding opportunities against the Navy defense.
Likewise, the Mids' primary problem was getting any looks against the Hoyas' swarming defense. Navy finished with only nine shots on goal.
"We knew that they would put a lot of pressure on us and I thought at times we handled it well," Navy coach Richie Meade said. "When you play a team that puts that much pressure on you, sometimes it's hard to run your offense."
Georgetown, which defeated Duke 6-5 last week, won in overtime for the second straight game. It was the fewest goals the Hoyas scored in a win since 1970, Georgetown's first year in Division I. The Hoyas also pulled a half-game ahead of Rutgers in the ECAC standings.
"We were kind of hoping to break out of a little slump offensively, but it didn't happen," Georgetown coach Dave Urick said. "We'll just keep working at it."
It was the lowest scoring game involving Navy since Yale beat the Mids 5-1 in 1950.
Though it fell back to .500, it was a solid rebound for Navy after Tuesday's embarrassing 8-6 loss to Air Force. However, the loss doesn't help Navy's fading NCAA tournament hopes.
"I told our players there are no moral victories at this level," Meade said. "You don't get a gum ball and a pat on the head. You don't get that type of stuff. We're all disappointed … but on the other hand I told them I was proud of them and the way they responded."
The Hoyas took a 3-2 lead with 3:14 left in regulation when attackman Mike Hammer fed midfielder Phil Vincenti a pass from behind the net.
The lead seemed safe since the Mids had committed a turnover on their first six possessions in the fourth quarter. However, Navy midfielder Jon Birsner got matched up with a short-stick midfielder out of a timeout and scored with 1:29 left.
Navy won the faceoff to start overtime, but quickly turned it over. Goldman nearly won it 73 seconds into the four-minute period when his shot clanked off the left post.
The Mids opened the scoring when freshman Ian Dingman converted one of the game's few transition opportunities. Walker and Mike Boynton both scored before the half, but the Mids tied on Joe Bossi's goal less than six minutes into the third quarter.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide