- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 4, 2003

MONTEREY, Mass. (AP) Rescuers found four plane-crash survivors three young boys and their father in a snowy state forest yesterday where they had endured a night in the bitter cold.
Three other family members died when the plane went down Sunday, and the father later died in a hospital.
All four survivors were hospitalized after a state police helicopter combing the mountainous region spotted someone waving from the crash site at midday. Three were taken out by helicopter; a fourth was transported by snowmobile.
"I'm totally amazed. They're very, very tough to have made it through the night," said Richard Toman, state police civilian search-and-rescue administrator. "This is the stuff movies are made of."
Police Sgt. David Paine confirmed three others were killed in Sunday night's crash. The dead were not immediately identified, but it was believed the plane was carrying a couple and their five boys, ages 2 to 11.
Ronald Ferris, the father, was taken to Fairview Hospital in Great Barrington for treatment of hypothermia and cardiac arrest, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was pronounced dead just before 9 p.m.
Albany Medical Center Hospital said Ryan Ferris, 2, and 5-year-old Jordan Ferris were being treated for hypothermia. Tyler Ferris, 10, was being treated for hypothermia and a broken leg. All three boys were in critical condition.
State Police Lt. Marion McGovern said the plane was found in about 4 feet of snow with two persons trapped inside. It was spotted in Beartown State Forest, a mountainous area near the Connecticut and New York state lines.
New York State Police helicopters had to drop rescuers into the area to stabilize the survivors before flying them to the hospital, Sgt. Paine said.
"They were frozen," said Peter Berry, a deputy chief of Colonie, N.Y. Emergency Medical Services, who was riding in the helicopter.
Temperatures in the mountains were in the single digits early yesterday with gusty 15 mph to 30 mph winds. Search teams on the ground had been fighting their way through snow up to 4 feet deep.
The single-engine Piper Cherokee Six disappeared on a flight from Harrisburg, Pa., to an airport near Keene, N.H. Flight controllers lost radio contact with the pilot Sunday evening.
The pilot reported problems with icing, said Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide