- The Washington Times - Sunday, March 9, 2003

Jodie Knotts had 21 points and nine rebounds as Marymount defeated Rutgers-Camden 83-80 in the second round of the NCAA Division III women's tournament last night at Verizon Sports Arena in Arlington.
Knotts led five players in double figures. Annetta Benjamin had 17 points, Katie Jarvis 14 points and 19 rebounds, Randi Jones 14 points and Ashlee Courter 13 points.
The 400th victory for coach Billy Finney catapulted the Saints (23-6) into the Sweet 16 for the third season in a row.
"You just kind of look back and you just can't believe it happened," Finney said. "I never planned to be here 20 seasons."
The Saints made things difficult for themselves down the stretch with shabby free throw shooting. They made only nine of 20 in the last two minutes.
"We just got into a run where we were missing them," Finney said. "We'll make them the next time. I shouldn't have removed our players from the lane. I think that disrupted our rhythm."
The cold streak allowed Rutgers-Camden (22-7) to close within three points in the waning seconds. A 30-foot desperation heave by Cheryl Kulesa nearly banked through as the buzzer sounded.
"That shot looked awfully good," Finney said. "It looked better after the buzzer went off. That was just inches."
Kulesa, who began her college career at Saint Joseph's, was one of two former Division I players with the Lady Raptors. Joy Silver, who finished with 18 points and 21 rebounds, transferred to the New Jersey school from Maryland-Eastern Shore.
Knotts converted a layup and Kati Hessler hit two free throws in the last 29 seconds of the first half as Marymount took a 39-34 halftime lead. The Saints raced to a nine-point advantage in the opening minutes of the game, only to surrender it after Silver and the Lady Raptors started to exercise their inside muscle against the smaller Saints.
Jarvis led the Saints with nine points and 11 rebounds in the bone-bruising first half. Knotts also scored nine points and Benjamin seven. A 3-pointer by Courter put the Saints ahead to stay at 32-30 with 4:08 left in the half.
The players from both teams spent much of the time mopping the floor with their bodies.
The Saints wrested control of the game in the second half, going on a 19-10 run to take a 58-44 lead with 11:57 left. A 3-pointer by Knotts elicited a roar from the home crowd and sent Rutgers-Camden coach Jackie Trakimas scrambling down the bench in search of answers.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide