- The Washington Times - Saturday, November 15, 2003

Former CBS chief Tisch dead at 80

NEW YORK — Laurence A. Tisch, the Loews Corp. co-founder who spent nine tumultuous years as head of CBS, died yesterday. He was 80.

Mr. Tisch, a self-made billionaire whose financial empire began with a single New Jersey resort, was suffering from cancer, said Candace Leeds, a Loews spokeswoman. At Loews, Mr. Tisch oversaw a financial corporation with assets of more than $70 billion, including a hotel chain, a tobacco company, an insurance firm and an offshore-drilling company.

The Brooklyn native served as chief executive officer and chairman of the board of CBS Inc. from 1986-95, a period when the “Tiffany Network” saw its nightly newscast fall to third place and lost NFL football to the upstart Fox network.

Mr. Tisch was known for his philanthropy, with major donations to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York University, the NYU Medical Center and the Wildlife Conservation Society. His $4.5 million gift to the latter created the Tisch Children’s Zoo in Central Park.

He is survived by his wife, four sons and a brother. There was no immediate word on funeral arrangements.

Pentagon: Perle didn’t violate ethics rules

The Pentagon’s inspector general concluded Richard Perle — former head of an influential civilian advisory group — violated no ethics law by representing companies that had major dealings with the Defense Department while he was the group’s chairman.

Mr. Perle came under scrutiny earlier this year for his business contacts while chairman of the Defense Policy Board, a bipartisan group that advises Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on policy issues. He resigned his chairmanship during the controversy in March, although he remains a member of the advisory board.

The IG’s report, which was heavily edited to remove sensitive information, focused on Mr. Perle’s business relationship with several companies, including bankrupt Global Crossing Ltd. and satellite maker Loral Space & Communications.

500-plus victims in hepatitis outbreak

PITTSBURGH — The number of people infected in a hepatitis A outbreak linked to a western Pennsylvania restaurant has exceeded 500 and is likely to continue rising for another week, state health department officials said yesterday.

Three persons infected with the virus have died, and thousands have lined up for inoculations since the outbreak was reported early this month among people who ate at a Chi-Chi’s Mexican restaurant.

As of yesterday, 510 cases of hepatitis A had been confirmed in the outbreak, Pennsylvania Health Department spokesman Richard McGarvey said.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide