- The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 25, 2003


Car bombing foiled; 2 suspects killed

RIYADH — Saudi security forces foiled a terrorist attack in the capital yesterday, killing two militants and seizing a car bomb ready for detonation on the first day of festivities marking the end of Ramadan, the government said.

Security agents clashed with the terror suspects in Riyadh at noon yesterday, the first day of the three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, and seized the explosive-laden car, the Interior Ministry said.

Saudi Arabia has been hit by major attacks during the past seven months. At least 17 persons were killed in a suicide bombing at a housing compound in the capital on Nov. 8. In May, suicide bombings at three housing compounds in Riyadh left 35 dead, including nine suicide bombers.


Top suspect in Cole attack held

SAN’A — Security forces yesterday arrested one of the top al Qaeda members in Yemen, suspected of masterminding the deadly bombings of the USS Cole and a French oil tanker off the country’s coast.

Mohammed Hamdi al-Ahdal was arrested after security forces surrounded his hide-out west of the capital, San’a, the Interior Ministry said in a statement carried on the official Yemen News Agency.

Yemeni security officials believe the Saudi-born al-Ahdal, 32, was one of the masterminds of the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole, which killed 17 U.S. sailors, and the 2002 bombing of the French oil tanker.


Court charges 9 in bombings

ISTANBUL — A Turkish court yesterday charged nine persons in the suicide attacks on British interests in Istanbul, while London warned further bombings might be imminent and police took new security measures.

After hours of interrogation by the state security court, the nine suspects were charged with aiding, abetting and belonging to an illegal organization. Another three suspects were released, Turkish news said.

In London, the Foreign Office issued a travel alert.

“We have information to suggest that further attacks may be imminent in Istanbul and Ankara,” it said. “We urge you to be vigilant … especially in the vicinity of potential terrorist targets.”


Armies begin border cease-fire

NEW DELHI — India and Pakistan began a cease-fire between their armies at midnight yesterday — the first such accord in 14 years.

The agreement, however, did not cover Indian security forces and Islamist militants in Kashmir, and there was no indication how long it would last or how effective it would be.

The two nations’ armies — which trade machine-gun and mortar fire almost daily — would observe the cease-fire along their entire border, including the Line of Control dividing Jammu and Kashmir and the border at the Siachen Glacier.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide