- The Washington Times - Sunday, November 9, 2003


Toddler alive after being declared dead

FULLERTON — Forty minutes after a toddler, found facedown in a swimming pool, was declared dead at a hospital, a police investigator examining the body noticed the little girl was breathing.

Doctors who rushed to the room Friday were able to revive 20-month-old Mackayala Jespersen, who was in critical condition but alive, Sgt. Sean Fares said. Mackayala’s mother had been at home Friday morning when the little girl apparently slipped out the sliding glass door and into the back yard, where the pool was, authorities said.

Police officers who responded to a frantic 911 call performed CPR, and paramedics took over as she was taken to Anaheim Memorial Hospital, but doctors pronounced her dead about an hour after she had been found in the pool.


Miss Florida injured in traffic accident

MIAMI — The woman who became Miss Florida when the previous crown-holder became Miss America was critically injured Friday in a traffic accident, police said. Shauna Pender, 24, assumed the state crown last month when Miss Florida Ericka Dunlap was chosen as Miss America.

Miss Pender, two other women and a 5-year-old girl were in a car when a pickup truck changed lanes and caused them to veer out of control, police said. An 18-wheeler also swerved and tipped over, striking the car. The pickup truck did not collide with either vehicle and left the scene.

Miss Pender, who was not driving, underwent surgery and was listed in critical condition. She was able to speak with paramedics while rescuers cut through the wreckage to reach her, authorities said.


Book: Lynch fought to save her leg

NEW YORK — Former prisoner of war Pfc. Jessica Lynch screamed and struggled with Iraqi doctors trying to anesthetize her after one of them said they were going to amputate her injured leg, according to newly released excepts from her soon-to-be-released authorized biography.

The surgery never took place, and Pfc. Lynch later heard that it was planned so she could be taken more easily to Baghdad, “probably for a propaganda video,” according to excerpts of “I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story” being published tomorrow in Time magazine. The book will be released Tuesday.

The excepts also say hospital workers wanted U.S. forces to find her in the days before her April 1 rescue, and even moved her bed within sight of an American soldier a doctor had spotted on a nearby rooftop.


Diocese distances itself from church

PITTSBURGH — Less than a week after the Episcopal Church USA consecrated its first openly homosexual bishop, two conservative dioceses approved measures yesterday indicating a split in the church has widened.

The Pittsburgh diocese approved an amendment aimed at allowing the diocese to ignore some of the national church’s policies. The amendment said the diocese will prevail “in cases where the provisions of the constitution and canons of the Church of the Diocese of Pittsburgh speak to the contrary” or where resolutions of the Episcopal Church USA are found “to be contrary to the historic faith and order of the one holy Catholic and apostolic church.”

In Texas, Fort Worth area clergy and lay delegates passed a resolution repudiating openly homosexual New Hampshire Bishop V. Gene Robinson’s appointment as “a schismatic act.”


Motorist flees with victim in windshield

SEATTLE — A driver was charged with hitting a man with his car, driving four blocks with the victim lodged in the windshield, then dumping the man in the street and driving away.

Troy Hagen, 29, of Olympia, was charged Friday with vehicular homicide and hit-and-run; he is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in King County Superior Court. Court papers say Mr. Hagen was high on methamphetamines while driving early last Sunday morning.

The victim, Walter High, had just left a nightclub and was standing by a parked car, talking with passengers when he was hit. The force threw him on the hood of Mr. Hagen’s car and propelled him head-first through the windshield. The documents said Mr. Hagen drove for more than four blocks before stopping. He removed Mr. High’s body and left it in the street, then drove another 11 blocks before calling 911 to report the accident, according to court papers.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide